Tell me about your S6.

Haha no I just wanted to hear about them. Good to know they are available. I would have to seriously move some grills. I do think an S6, the SmokeFire and Q-320 would be a nice set up.
I’m happy as is. Looking forward to a good cook tomorrow.
What's planned for tomorrow? Make sure you are not thinking about the E6 while cooking on another grill tomorrow!

What's planned for tomorrow? Make sure you are not thinking about the E6 while cooking on another grill tomorrow!
Tri-tip and lamb on the 26. I think I’m gonna do those potatoes I just saw on the Joe thread too.
Really need to do your carnitas too, shoulda grabbed a pork shoulder at Costco. I picked up some pork tenderloins to try Korean pork next weekend.

I just simply love my S6. It's that simple.

I've had both ceramic (Visions and BGE) and steel (Keg) kamado grills the last 10 years before the S6. The Weber is far away my favorite of them all. The size, temp control, and versatility of the S6 just allows me to do almost anything without wishing I had another grill. I've smoked brisket at 225, done pizza at 750+, and everything in between. I use is more like a kettle the majority of the time (using a home-made slow-n-sear setup from modifying the two charcoal baskets into one), and added shelves for more storage and a second charcoal grate so I didn't have to keep shifting the bottom one around. Also made myself a vortex clone (from a stainless bowl).

I'll take some pics of everything I've done - I wish Weber would have added some more storage options for the table and removed the snap-jet ignitor...I use it once and a while...but could easily do without it...it's not worth the extra $$ for it...but no options there anyways...

I love the attached table now that the $$ spent is long forgotten...and no regrets...would not go back in time to get the E6 and a cheaper side table. Some likely would go that way and be happy...but I like it.

The shelves I put in....I removed the crappy little factory one - these are off the shelf ones from Lowes. Work great...bolted them using some plastic sheeting to the bottom rack etc.

1630796534770.png

1630796558362.png

1630796580997.png

My home made SnS - using the two factory baskets riveted together and an 18" pizza pan cut and bent...I use this the most in this configuration.

1630796604805.png

You can see the SECOND charcoal grate I bought here, and the factory one still on the lower level if you look closely...

1630796627622.png

And my home made vortex....I really do not feel the need for any other accessory other than all shown here...

1630796667756.png

Last edited:
I just simply love my S6. It's that simple.

I've had both ceramic (Visions and BGE) and steel (Keg) kamado grills the last 10 years before the S6. The Weber is far away my favorite of them all. The size, temp control, and versatility of the S6 just allows me to do almost anything without wishing I had another grill. I've smoked brisket at 225, done pizza at 750+, and everything in between. I use is more like a kettle the majority of the time (using a home-made slow-n-sear setup from modifying the two charcoal baskets into one), and added shelves for more storage and a second charcoal grate so I didn't have to keep shifting the bottom one around. Also made myself a vortex clone (from a stainless bowl).

I'll take some pics of everything I've done - I wish Weber would have added some more storage options for the table and removed the snap-jet ignitor...I use it once and a while...but could easily do without it...it's not worth the extra $$ for it...but no options there anyways...

I love the attached table now that the $$ spent is long forgotten...and no regrets...would not go back in time to get the E6 and a cheaper side table. Some likely would go that way and be happy...but I like it.
Yes pics please.
Obviously you feel the quality is there?

I really want one, but am gonna wait till they come out with one in color - I’m patient, plus I’d have to build a new deck to fit it outside!

Just realized I lied..if I could have one more grill, it would be a gas/propane salamander to broil at super-high temps - 1500 degree type temps.

Just realized I lied..if I could have one more grill, it would be a gas/propane salamander to broil at super-high temps - 1500 degree type temps.
You need the cast iron sear grate. It puts an incredible sear on proteins at 1000°F+.

Your mods and setup are epic. Well done.

Yes pics please.
Obviously you feel the quality is there?

I posted some pics back in my original post. It's just a rock solid unit....is it REALLY worth the $$...I think so, considering that a ceramic Kamado Big Joe 3 was over $1000 MORE expensive. Value is pretty tough to quantify.....I am sure I'll get 10+ years from it easily...so for $200 a year...yes, it's well worth it. I really enjoy cooking on it. That said, I could probably do 80% of what I use it for on a $200 kettle too...

I also have to contend with -30 winters here and I like to grill in the winter too...so the insulated side was inportant.

If I was on a very tight budget....it would not be a smart decision to spend that much $$ on it..? Tough call. I also purchase new vehicles, while my wife would never....

I wish the Australian version was available here....same design, no gas start, and less $$...even more value.

Overall..yes, I'm pleased.

Also realized I left out my grilling steel and pizza stone as accessories for the pizza and searing.

Tri-tip and lamb on the 26. I think I’m gonna do those potatoes I just saw on the Joe thread too.
Really need to do your carnitas too, shoulda grabbed a pork shoulder at Costco. I picked up some pork tenderloins to try Korean pork next weekend.
I am craving some steak for tomorrow also. I have to go out tomorrow and hope to pick up something good. Pork shoulder in the fridge for Carnitas on Monday. I wanted to make a hybrid Pork Colorado cook on Monday but my daughter is heavily protesting and stated don't you dare mess with that recipe.

For those of you that smoke on the E6 / S6, I was wondering if it is inconvenient to add or tend the coals compared to a WSM? It seems like you would have to remove the food, grate, and diffuser to tend or add coal, where the WSM you can just open the door and easy peezy. Unless you just do indirect and don't use the diffuser.

For those of you that smoke on the E6 / S6, I was wondering if it is inconvenient to add or tend the coals compared to a WSM? It seems like you would have to remove the food, grate, and diffuser to tend or add coal, where the WSM you can just open the door and easy peezy. Unless you just do indirect and don't use the diffuser.
Indirect, with diffuser plate, load lower level with coal and smoking wood and let er go. The double walls, plus low and slow burns coal super efficiently. As in you really don’t need to add more coals. I’m doing a brisket tomorrow and am planning a hot and fast, indirect (lower level coal) but no diffuser. Target cook temp is 350-400° for the first 90 minutes and then wrap as soon as I hit 165°F internal.

Thanks, but I would like more info on long low and slow cooks with diffuser. If I or someone else was to want one of these to replace a WSM and kettle, that is what we would want to know. I get that it is a Performer on steroids' but how convenient a smoker is it?

This is just not a thing...you don't have to do it at all unless you don't start with enough lump/briquettes. My longest cook was roughly 14 hours (much of it below freezing temps) and there was still leftover coals.

Thanks, but I would like more info on long low and slow cooks with diffuser. If I or someone else was to want one of these to replace a WSM and kettle, that is what we would want to know. I get that it is a Performer on steroids' but how convenient a smoker is it?

Go look up some of Baby Back Manic's YouTube videos where he does low/slows with his Summit Kamado. Maybe that provides more insight?

I've smoked everything from ribs (4-5 hours), pork (8-10 hours), and a few brisket (longest was 14 hours) without any difficulties...and I am no expert smoker of meats by any means. I've also never had a WSM so it's hard for me to provide a valid comparison either.

But, my process for smoking is:

1) Clean up after last cook
2) Load up bottom charcoal rack with briquettes, wood chunks, lump...whatever dictated by the cook.
3) Light up a small area - or 6 to 7 briquettes - usually with starter cube or torch...I don't often use the snapjet.
4) Close lid and let it come up to 200-225 with all vents open roughly 50%.
5) Put on diffuser plate, drips pans, thermometer sensors, racks etc, and close lid and adjust vents to smoking position - bottom on smoke, top at 1/4 open or so...
6) Let it come up to desired temp and make minor adjustments. I usually smoke at 250ish...maybe 275 as I find this is my desired smoke profile.
7) Put on meat etc and monitor and eventually do all other things as needed - spritz, wrap, flip etc.

I would also suggest go look up a few Facebook Weber Summit groups as well - fair amount of traffic up there too and lots of experience, comments etc.

But...when all is said and done...if I ALREADY had a WSM and performer...I would (IMO) probably not run out an buy an E6/S6 thinking life is going to be that much better... 85% of my cooking could probably be done easily on a kettle...but I have a townhouse, and only room for 1 grill too...so I made the decision for my space, needs, use.

I would ask back...is a WSM that much of a hassle/issue to use?

Last edited:
Go look up some of Baby Back Manic's YouTube videos where he does low/slows with his Summit Kamado. Maybe that provides more insight?

I've smoked everything from ribs (4-5 hours), pork (8-10 hours), and a few brisket (longest was 14 hours) without any difficulties...and I am no expert smoker of meats by any means. I've also never had a WSM so it's hard for me to provide a valid comparison either.

But, my process for smoking is:

1) Clean up after last cook
2) Load up bottom charcoal rack with briquettes, wood chunks, lump...whatever dictated by the cook.
3) Light up a small area - or 6 to 7 briquettes - usually with starter cube or torch...I don't often use the snapjet.
4) Close lid and let it come up to 200-225 with all vents open roughly 50%.
5) Put on diffuser plate, drips pans, thermometer sensors, racks etc, and close lid and adjust vents to smoking position - bottom on smoke, top at 1/4 open or so...
6) Let it come up to desired temp and make minor adjustments. I usually smoke at 250ish...maybe 275 as I find this is my desired smoke profile.
7) Put on meat etc and monitor and eventually do all other things as needed - spritz, wrap, flip etc.

I would also suggest go look up a few Facebook Weber Summit groups as well - fair amount of traffic up there too and lots of experience, comments etc.

But...when all is said and done...if I ALREADY had a WSM and performer...I would (IMO) probably not run out an buy an E6/S6 thinking life is going to be that much better... 85% of my cooking could probably be done easily on a kettle...but I have a townhouse, and only room for 1 grill too...so I made the decision for my space, needs, use.

I would ask back...is a WSM that much of a hassle/issue to use?
Thanks - I will watch the vids. No the WSM is a joy to use. I have a performer and a WSM and was wondering how you manage coals with the diffuser on as with the WSM there is a door that lets you without taking food and grates off.

Thanks - I will watch the vids. No the WSM is a joy to use. I have a performer and a WSM and was wondering how you manage coals with the diffuser on as with the WSM there is a door that lets you without taking food and grates off.
Joe,
On the original model, the diffuser plate actually hinged on the sides so you could add fuel. However, it was such an un needed feature that they went to a full plate for the new model.

Back