Tell me about it? Thinking about starting this project.

So how well does it work with the PBC? Is there an adapter to attach the fan to the PBC vent or do you just place it in front of it?

Thanks.

Your mind is the limit - well, actually, it's tools that probably limit you. I bought a sheet of aluminum & cut it with snips & bent it with pliers & JB welded the 2 pieces together (for my Keg). Not perfect, but functional.

Ok I'm going to swallow my pride and ask this stupid question(s)
I Power up the HeaterMeter and everything is fine. all seems to function fine.
I put the image openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img on an SD
Plug it in to the SD port
Plug the RPi into the HM
Power it up...
OK
THe LCD says No pit probe
the instructions say "Once the device boots, if it has internet access, simply use a browser to navigate to http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and your HeaterMeter should be listed automatically."
Well here is where I draw a blank
Are we talking about the RPi booting? Like the monitor and keyboard connected to the RPi? Because it never gets past a black boot up screen.
If we are talking "open any browser on the network" then it my be a firewall issue here at work. BUT I don't see a network on my phone to connect to.

Last edited:
Ok I'm going to swallow my pride and ask this stupid question(s)
I Power up the HeaterMeter and everything is fine. all seems to function fine.
I put the image openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img on an SD
Plug it in to the SD port
Plug the RPi into the HM
Power it up...
OK
THe LCD says No pit probe
the instructions say "Once the device boots, if it has internet access, simply use a browser to navigate to http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and your HeaterMeter should be listed automatically."
Well here is where I draw a blank
Are we talking about the RPi booting? Like the monitor and keyboard connected to the RPi? Because it never gets past a black boot up screen.
If we are talking "open any browser on the network" then it my be a firewall issue here at work. BUT I don't see a network on my phone to connect to.

If you are getting "No pit probe" on the LCD, then you're in pretty good shape.

You can only see your heatermeter listed at http://heatermeter.com/devices if you are on the same network as it. If it's at home and you're at work on a different network, then you wont see it listed.

There's no reason to hookup a keyboard, or monitor to the raspi unless you're in trouble and need to do some troubleshooting.

By being at work behind a firewall might cause an issue with the HM/Devices website. The way it works, if the HM boots and has internet access it will "phone home" to the HM/Devices, then when you connect to the HM/Devices web page from any computer on the same network (sharing the same Internet IP as the HM) you should see your HM listed there with some network information about it. So we're not talking about loading a browser on the rPi itself, you load the web page on a PC, and it wont work if the computer you are using to load the web page is not using the same Internet IP as the HM.

I believe these days the wifi device starts up in Access Point mode on first boot, so you can connect directly to the HM with any wifi device. From there you can configure the wifi device in Client Mode and have it connect to your wifi network instead, to make it accessible to computers on your network rather than only devices connected directly to it. If this doesnt work out for you then you can use the old school method, connecting the rPi with a LAN cable and using that to log in and configure your wifi and HM settings.

Ok, I got it up and running. I have to login to the wireless on the HM to access it. What do I have to do to connect with my phone without having to login to that wireless connection?

If I understand you correctly, you are connected directly to your HM with a wireless device, using the HM as an Access Point.

To make the HM connect to your home wireless network instead you need to log into the HM Configuration, go to Network\WIFI and click EDIT next to the "Radio" listed there (the radio is your WiFi dongle). In the bottom section under "Interface Configuration" you will see "Mode" and it will have "Access Point" selected. Change that to Client Mode to have the HM connect to your WiFi network rather than act as an Access Point.

After you are in Client mode you will need to go back to the main WiFi tab and SCAN for wireless networks, then select your wifi and enter credentials to connect. TBHWY I am not sure if it will drop your direct connection from your wireless device before you scan for local wireless networks, logic says it must, but I have only used the AP mode bootup once and can't recall exactly how that went. So be prepared to connect to the HM with a LAN cable so you can scan for and connect to your wifi network if you get booted when you change to Client Mode.

Somehow I keep managing to shut the wireless adapter on the rPi off. An I have not found a way to fix that except to reimage the SD

I changed it to client and scanned for a wireless network to connect to and the original network vanished and now the light is out on the adapter.

It probably is not being allowed to connect to your wifi... Did you enter the credentials to connect to the wifi network? Like I said, move to a LAN cable connection, connect to the HM through the wired LAN connection and then scan the wifi network again, enter credentials etc... make sure your wifi is allowing the connection. Once you have it connected it shouldn't have to go through that again.

I did make the changes on a LAN cable connection. When I picked a network and entered the pass code the wireless went dead.
Getting a lot of practice setting this up though. Going to have to do it again when the new rPi shows up. This one is defective, the SD slot won't hold a card, it won't latch. It has help from a rubber band now.

are you using the edimax wifi? Are you sure your router is allowing the HM to connect? When you say "went dead" do you mean just stopped flashing and attempting to connect, or can you no longer SCAN for and select a wifi network?

I reconfigured a Linksys router to act as an AP and that solved the limited range at work. I just keep the Linksys on the second floor So it can see the HM and I can pick up the signal easily in my office.

Back