Tell Me about Charcoal Rails

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
Do you use 'em? Why are they better than, say, a piece of expanded metal bent to a L-shape? When do you use 'em?

There is much I need to learn about kettle cooking.

I use them with a drip pan between them when I'm doing indirect or using the rotisserie on my kettle. I got them on sale cheap, and scored a second set when I bought a 22" OTS at a yard sale.

I had the rails some time ago with an 18" Silver. When I got the Performer, the baskets came with it and a big difference, at least for me. As has been said, you can move them around. I also have the sear grate and skillet so I use them for that. I load the baskets up with lump, light them for 5 minutes with the gas and let them go. Then I move both baskets directly under the grate. It gets the grate very hot and this is what I like for steaks, burgers and anything else I want to cook on "high direct". I wouldn't be able to for this with the older rails. For a regular "indirect", I usually bag them and push half the coals to one side and angled up.

Good Luck!

...or, you can bring then up stairs to the cookin' grate and clip them on to use as an extension for an upper tier.
DSCN3025.jpg

DSCN3021.jpg

All you'll need is another grate to sit atop the rails. Waa-Laa! Added cookin' space!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Back in my day, we didn't have baskets, we only had rails..and we were **** lucky to have em too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Testify, Brother!

What I use my rails for is raising a spare charcoal grate much like Jim Lampe does. Except mine goes under the main cooking grate. I do this to get the hot coals right under the steaks for good searing.

A pair of vintage rails

IMG_0234rs.jpg

You can not see the rails in this pic but you can see how the coals are touching the bottom of the cast iron.

IMG_0145rs.jpg

I think it works rather well.

IMG_0149rs.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
What I use my rails for is raising a spare charcoal grate much like Jim Lampe does. Except mine goes under the main cooking grate. I do this to get the hot coals right under the steaks for good searing.

IMG_0149rs.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your grill marks get a 10 on the Raichlen Scale.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
...or, you can bring then up stairs to the cookin' grate and clip them on to use as an extension for an upper tier.
DSCN3025.jpg

DSCN3021.jpg

All you'll need is another grate to sit atop the rails. Waa-Laa! Added cookin' space! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a grate idea! ( sorry, couldn't resist) Seriously though, I have them but it never occurred to me to do that, thanks for the idea
icon_biggrin.gif

great ideas for rail use, both downstairs and upstairs. finally they will have something to do again, they've been rusting away in the corner since i got my baskets...

Back