Tel-Tru Thermometer through vent hole

F

fritz

Ive seen this option used and have used it myself on occasion. But since it basically completely covers one of the three vent holes, does this not affect the venting ie. temps or creosote build up. i mean it is reducing the exiting smoke and heat by 33%.

My thermometer has a spring clip which holds the thermo dial about an inch or two above the vent hole, so no blockage there.

I wouldn't want a vent hole plugged, but It shouldn't be an issue with small meat loads and/or cooking with a dry pan.

fritz, not sure how handy you are but if you are opposed to drilling into the dome of your WSM and if your thermometer shank is small enough in diameter, you could drill a hole through the rivit holding the vent and place your thermometer there. You can get a piece of 1/4" plastic air hose say about two inches long and slide it over the thermometer shaft all the way to the guage. This will keep the thermometer back the length of the plastic hose, 2" or whatever as the hole you drilled will just be the diameter of the shaft. Here's a picture of one I did on my holder model.
IMG_0387_zps50ce07db.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]and clear of the vents.

I mounted a cheap, Chinese made thermometer in the side of my WSMs. Using my ET-732 as a check, this configuration gives a much better indication of the actual cooking temperature at the grate, than reading the temperature in the dome.
thermometer04.jpg

Something I learned on my last cook, I went ahead and did the "notch mod" for my probe cables. As it turns out I had just enough room to slip one of my weber dial thermometers through the notch and under the top grate. Worked well and stayed out of the way, was within 2 degrees of the maverick probe on the top grate.

Back