Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Someone on here had commented on using Mashup coffee beans. I had noted that I had bought a couple or 3 bags of this but was less than happy with it. Well, today I gave it a go in the Moccamaster. What a difference. Now a nice cup of Joe!
That was me. I picked up a bag in the late Fall. Got through most of it and I guess it got stale before we finished it. I tossed the last 1/4 lb. or so. Got it at Sam's but when we returned a month later, they no longer sold it or were completely out. Seems they have several blends...and that was before I bought the Moccamasters.

Nice score.
It also came with 2, 100 packs of Moccamaster filters which I just looked at Amazon and that is $30 bonus! That makes me feel even more like I got a score. I order the descaler Larry was taking about. What filters do you guys use? Do you use the Maccomaster filters or have you found a better option? I will be ok for the time being with the two boxes given to me with my purchase, but for the future what do you guys recommend.

Damn what a score that was. I'd have bought that all day long!
I have been checking on Marketplace for the last 18 month for Moccamaster and for Oxo machines, and never any great deals, and very few listing even close to me at all. I have had a pot that made a real good cup of coffee so I just keep telling myself, I don't need it. Somewhere along the way my mother-in-law (due to an amazon error) got two new coffee machines when she ordered one, so she gave us the second as a "back-up". Well the back up pot come in good use when on Monday morning my machine stopped working. I pulled out the new machine and got a pot brewed before I had to go to work. The only problem, the coffee sucked!!! I told my wife we needed to get a new better machine. Monday night checked Marketplace and BOOM this amazing deal and only a 30 min easy drive from us! I have never seen a deal like that and soooo close!!! It was meant to be!!! If feel like I will not get this lucky many times in my life so I am basking in this one!

It also came with 2, 100 packs of Moccamaster filters which I just looked at Amazon and that is $30 bonus! That makes me feel even more like I got a score. I order the descaler Larry was taking about. What filters do you guys use? Do you use the Maccomaster filters or have you found a better option? I will be ok for the time being with the two boxes given to me with my purchase, but for the future what do you guys recommend.
I got two boxes of Filtropa with the two machines I bought. I believe they make the Moccamaster filters for Technivorm. But I use either Melitta or Connaisseur. The Connaisseur are from Costco. They're OK but I like the Melittas better and the Filtropa are top notch but relatively pricey.
Melitta invented the coffee filter and they're readily available and reasonably priced. Don't know if I'd get the Connaisseurs again.

I just bought a box of the Melitta (brown unbleached) filters, but I might give the Filtropa a try as well. I used up my box of Moccamaster ones. They did seem to work nicely

I find it Melittas on sale or buy one get one frequently and almost every supermarket has them. The Connaisseur filters are oxygen bleached which is OK but they just don't fit as well and they come in 400 packs at Costco.

I know Technivorm does not recommend using water from an RO system. So I found this out AFTER getting the unit. Though my observation of it being some truly fine coffee was while using that water. But, in my respect to the Moccamaster gods I installed an entire new filtration system using good old plain Cherry Valley water straight into a dual filtration system with activated carbon block filtration (not a cheap cartridge BTW) and installed it for drinking and coffee. Our water is so hard it does not come out as liquid but very fine gravel :D But the machine was needing lots of TLC, white crust formed everywhere. Coffee grounds not fully wetted. Yesterday I pulled the lines for that system and went back to RO. Results? This morning's coffee. MUCH better. Machine made far less noise, coffee rounds fully wetted, actual coffee smoother and far less acidic.
Sorry Moccamaster. Some water is just plain beyond too hard for use in the machine. If the RO water ever does cause any harm to the heating element I will simply buy a new element. Cheap and easily available online.
I guess I could have fed the filter system water from the softener. But, there is always that ever so slight (if any) issue of salt remaining. So while it may be perfectly fine (no salt) I just have a "nagging" doubt. So RO it is! Luvin my coffee once again

I know Technivorm does not recommend using water from an RO system. So I found this out AFTER getting the unit. Though my observation of it being some truly fine coffee was while using that water. But, in my respect to the Moccamaster gods I installed an entire new filtration system using good old plain Cherry Valley water straight into a dual filtration system with activated carbon block filtration (not a cheap cartridge BTW) and installed it for drinking and coffee. Our water is so hard it does not come out as liquid but very fine gravel :D But the machine was needing lots of TLC, white crust formed everywhere. Coffee grounds not fully wetted. Yesterday I pulled the lines for that system and went back to RO. Results? This morning's coffee. MUCH better. Machine made far less noise, coffee rounds fully wetted, actual coffee smoother and far less acidic.
Sorry Moccamaster. Some water is just plain beyond too hard for use in the machine. If the RO water ever does cause any harm to the heating element I will simply buy a new element. Cheap and easily available online.
I guess I could have fed the filter system water from the softener. But, there is always that ever so slight (if any) issue of salt remaining. So while it may be perfectly fine (no salt) I just have a "nagging" doubt. So RO it is! Luvin my coffee once again
Technivorm also states not to use citric acid to clean the Moccamaster....but than immediately recommends using a coffee maker cleaner whose primary ingredient is citric acid.

We are on vacation up in Cape Cod MA and staying at an Air BNB. It has been a great couple days with more to come. I absolutely thought about bringing my moccamaster with us, but the fear of it getting damaged in the packing/traveling (but the vehicle was not over backed at all this trip) and not wanting the family to pick on me all week for bringing my fancy coffee pot, I did not. So officially this morning everyone of the family has asked why I didn't bring it, and shared that they miss the coffee it brews. They all promised to not make fun of me anymore for the detail I put into making us all coffee at home with my moccamaster because they all miss the coffee 🤣🤣🤣.

I usually don't get coffee out, but we went to a really great coffee shop in Plymouth yesterday and I got a personal French press and it was very good. The family got iced lattes which were very good, but my son said he still just wanted a cup of my coffee. I think I am going to go back to that spot one more time and get some beans to go home with.

We are on vacation up in Cape Cod MA and staying at an Air BNB. It has been a great couple days with more to come. I absolutely thought about bringing my moccamaster with us, but the fear of it getting damaged in the packing/traveling (but the vehicle was not over backed at all this trip) and not wanting the family to pick on me all week for bringing my fancy coffee pot, I did not. So officially this morning everyone of the family has asked why I didn't bring it, and shared that they miss the coffee it brews. They all promised to not make fun of me anymore for the detail I put into making us all coffee at home with my moccamaster because they all miss the coffee 🤣🤣🤣.

I usually don't get coffee out, but we went to a really great coffee shop in Plymouth yesterday and I got a personal French press and it was very good. The family got iced lattes which were very good, but my son said he still just wanted a cup of my coffee. I think I am going to go back to that spot one more time and get some beans to go home with.
This is why when the opportunity to purchase two Moccamasters presented itself, I bought two. One for home, one for our beach house.

I reluctantly performed surgery on one by shortening the power cord and installing a new plug. My wife was bothered by the excess length. I'm hoping that she forgets about it for the beach house.

Back