Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Wait a sec. There should be a flat lid that goes over the grounds basket, with a circular "fence" about 2" in diameter, centered, with small hole for the hot water to drip through. I'm wondering if you're missing a part.

OK I need to determine what is "normal" for this unit. So, last night I did the descale cycle using the powder from Urnex. Though of course I read the directions AFTER I did it :D. Directions said mix in 32oz lukewarm water. But not me I mixed in a full pot of warm water. Anyway ran the unit through the cycle, ran 2 rinse cycles with lukewarm water as directions indicated than did 2 more rinses with my filtered water.
This
is the flow I get from the spray arm. Is it "normal"?
Asking because when it's done brewing my spent grounds look like this. So just wondering if it's how they're supposed to look? As it seems the spray arm seems to drop more to the "front" BTW I did put a level on the spray arm and it is level
View attachment 45546
I think it is normal. It appears that all of the grounds are completely saturated. I have read and seen different things, mods, hacks to allegedly improve the water distribution. A round metal shower attachment. Drilling out several of the wholes on the spray arm in different locations. Rubbing a tiny drop of cooking oil over the holes to break the surface tension of the water.
I'm a bit skeptical of all three. The shower head basket attachment will likely rob precious brewing temperature. Drilling out the holes is a crap shoot, stab in the dark. Canola oil on the shower head???
I have noticed different OEM shower arms. Some are flat or totally flush. Some are dimpled outwards:

I'm convinced it has little to no effect on the taste of your coffee.

Attachments

• 20210718_222041923_iOS_110x110@2x.jpg
    20210718_222041923_iOS_110x110@2x.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 9Hole-Outlet-Arm_53054_2162_1200x.png
    9Hole-Outlet-Arm_53054_2162_1200x.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Wait a sec. There should be a flat lid that goes over the grounds basket, with a circular "fence" about 2" in diameter, centered, with small hole for the hot water to drip through. I'm wondering if you're missing a part.
Not sure what part you are describing here.

The spray arm on my CDT has a single hole, about 3/8" in diameter, centered over the grounds basket assembly. I'm rather surprised that there's a design difference. I'd have expected the drip mechanisms to differ only in scale.

The spray arm on my CDT has a single hole, about 3/8" in diameter, centered over the grounds basket assembly. I'm rather surprised that there's a design difference. I'd have expected the drip mechanisms to differ only in scale.
I've now seen 3 different versions of the spray arm. Your's with the single larger hole. Larry's and mine eith 9 "flat" holes and the dimpled 9 hole version.

I have the plastic part you're referring to J. I just took it off during that episode on UTube. It serves to keep the heat in well I think. Anyway not looking to mod it at all. Just wanting to confirm what I have is working "normal". Thanks Jay!

I have the plastic part you're referring to J. I just took it off during that episode on UTube. It serves to keep the heat in well I think. Anyway not looking to mod it at all. Just wanting to confirm what I have is working "normal". Thanks Jay!
Can you post a picture? Is it the cover that goes over the filter basket?

I don't have that part as I have the stainless carafe with auto stop model.
One other question I have. Again not sure if what I observe is simply physics or if they should have some type of "check valve"?
When I pour water in the reservoir I notice that water also takes the same level in the clear tube coming up from the heating element/base of the machine. IOW the water in the tube seems to find it's same level as the water in the tank. Honestly never looked at it until I was doing the cleaning cycle and noticed it. Do you other owners notice this as well? I'm likely not seeing anything abnormal but I just want to know "fo sho" every observation I make is correct for the device.
BTW tried a 1 full step coarser grind on my Lavazza this AM. Hard to say if I am noticing any taste differences. Perhaps the finer grind being slightly more "robust" tasting. But looking at the spent grinds I really don't notice any difference. I may try one more day at this setting and then go one full step (my grinder allows half steps) coarser and determine what if any differences I may note

1645105348026.jpeg

I don't have that part as I have the stainless carafe with auto stop model.
One other question I have. Again not sure if what I observe is simply physics or if they should have some type of "check valve"?
When I pour water in the reservoir I notice that water also takes the same level in the clear tube coming up from the heating element/base of the machine. IOW the water in the tube seems to find it's same level as the water in the tank. Honestly never looked at it until I was doing the cleaning cycle and noticed it. Do you other owners notice this as well? I'm likely not seeing anything abnormal but I just want to know "fo sho" every observation I make is correct for the device.
BTW tried a 1 full step coarser grind on my Lavazza this AM. Hard to say if I am noticing any taste differences. Perhaps the finer grind being slightly more "robust" tasting. But looking at the spent grinds I really don't notice any difference. I may try one more day at this setting and then go one full step (my grinder allows half steps) coarser and determine what if any differences I may note

View attachment 45590
That grind level looks about identical to what I've settled on with the Baratza Encore. I'll take a look at the water in the internal tube tomorrow AM. It will be on the machine at the beach house but it's identical CDGT.

Well I tried a slightly coarser grind (5.5) and with the Lavazza beans I don't think I like it as much. Going to use the 2 step finer grind (at least with those beans). When I go to a more dark roasted product I may have to experiment again.

Well I tried a slightly coarser grind (5.5) and with the Lavazza beans I don't think I like it as much. Going to use the 2 step finer grind (at least with those beans). When I go to a more dark roasted product I may have to experiment again.
OK...I observed the brewing on our other Moccamaster this AM. The water fills the inner brew tube from the heating coil immediately as you fill the tank. That means the first ounce or so is essentially cold water through the brew basket.

I'm going to point out here that commercial 12 cup filters work just dandy in a CDT Grande (15 cup model) basket.

I don't use the Moccamaster, but I'm really enjoying the back and forth between some fellow coffee nerds.

My coffee quest journey is highly impacted by the altitude of my two brew sites that bring cooler boiling water temps (Denver 202F; Summit County 194F).

For years I got decent results using a regular altitude Bunn Speed Brew in Denver which was barely able to keep the water just below the Denver boiling point. Up in the mountains, only option was the high altitude model and the water is just too cool to get good results. So I eventually migrated to french press using full boiling water -- no "off the boil" at altitude.

My kit is: Baratza Encore grinder to get a good coarse FP grind; Costco/Starbucks medium roast beans; 50 oz Bodum glass FP in Denver; 50 oz insulated SS FP in Summit (where you really need to conserve the heat); pour the brewed coffee off into a Zojirushi insulated carafe for holding; drink out of a SS Cosori mug with mug warmer.

The two most impactful things for me. First, getting a good fresh grind right before brewing (Baratza grinder!). Second, keeping the coffee at the right Goldilocks drinking temp for an extended period of time (carafe and mug/warmer). No cold coffee and no microwave for me!

One thing I have discovered is with Lavazza beans (espresso roast) the Moccamaster is very sensitive to the grind. I get a better brew with a finer grind than the slightly coarser grind. I guess I have grown accustomed to the more robust brew I get from French/Dark Roast and when I put a medium roast in it (honestly I felt the same way with my Zojirushi), the resulting brew just leaves me a little "meh". Yet if I make an actual Espresso with those beans it's "oh yeah that's a GREAT cup". I gave 3 bags of Lavazza to my daughter and son in law. They have one of those fancy $1500 espresso bar centers and love the stuff. Said they go through a 2lb bag every couple weeks! Lavazza is the only medium roast I have bought. So I don't know if there is another brand of med roast that might trip my trigger

I don't use the Moccamaster, but I'm really enjoying the back and forth between some fellow coffee nerds.

My coffee quest journey is highly impacted by the altitude of my two brew sites that bring cooler boiling water temps (Denver 202F; Summit County 194F).

For years I got decent results using a regular altitude Bunn Speed Brew in Denver which was barely able to keep the water just below the Denver boiling point. Up in the mountains, only option was the high altitude model and the water is just too cool to get good results. So I eventually migrated to french press using full boiling water -- no "off the boil" at altitude.

My kit is: Baratza Encore grinder to get a good coarse FP grind; Costco/Starbucks medium roast beans; 50 oz Bodum glass FP in Denver; 50 oz insulated SS FP in Summit (where you really need to conserve the heat); pour the brewed coffee off into a Zojirushi insulated carafe for holding; drink out of a SS Cosori mug with mug warmer.

The two most impactful things for me. First, getting a good fresh grind right before brewing (Baratza grinder!). Second, keeping the coffee at the right Goldilocks drinking temp for an extended period of time (carafe and mug/warmer). No cold coffee and no microwave for me!
I love the grind I get from my Baratza Encore but it is slow. I have a DeLonghi Ariete in our beach house. It is quite good too and quite a bit quieter and faster than the Baratza.

Someone on here had commented on using Mashup coffee beans. I had noted that I had bought a couple or 3 bags of this but was less than happy with it. Well, today I gave it a go in the Moccamaster. What a difference. Now a nice cup of Joe!

Back