Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

One thing I did notice that is a little bit of a disappointment. The carafe sure does not keep the coffee hot like my Zojirushi does. Of course that's the main focus of that company thermos type bottles. So it keeps things hot like crazy.
Glass carafe, not insulated? Our Grande CDT is a vacuum insulated stainless carafe, it does a pretty good job of keeping coffee warm for at least a couple of hours.

Glass carafe, not insulated? Our Grande CDT is a vacuum insulated stainless carafe, it does a pretty good job of keeping coffee warm for at least a couple of hours.
Our two CDGT Moccamasters keep it hot enough. In winter, I fill the thermal carafe with hot tap water and let it sit while I grind the beans in the Baratza Encore...which I must say, is a slow grinder. It does a great job, but it's slow to grind the amount to make a full pot.

This is the exact one I got. It's a REALLY nice brewer but I just don't think the carafe is quite up to Zojirushi performance. But yeah it's fine for a couple hours and hell it's why God gave us the microwave :D

I am such a dummy. Forgot to add the link. Been running ragged doing shopping errands and getting things for youngest daughter. Whole household has the Covid. Though she said the test on the baby is coming up negative, though she's exhibiting symptoms. Though at 10 mos old it could be teething as well. But my little bud, is positive, daughter is and boyfriend is (who actually started the whole mess).

@LMichaels I think you have a slightly smaller version than what we have. We specifically got the full on office version, with a [purportedly] 15 cup stainless carafe.

Yeah, I thought about that one but honestly I make 4 mugs of coffee in the AM and I am done. 3 go to me one to the wife. One in early AM, one with breakfast and one after lunch with a cookie. But I saw a couple of the large ones at a good price on FleaBay. Ours is the purportedly 10 cup. My Zojirushi is slightly bigger at 10 cups as well but it is rated for 10 5oz cups rather than 10 4oz cups

My g/f & I generally drain ours every business day. With our mugs, she gets about two mugs, I get about two & a half.

One of the fallacies of modern life: a "standard" cup of coffee is 5 oz. I call that a couple of sips.

Yeah...what constitutes a "cup" of coffee is all over the board. Technivorm considers 4oz. to be a cup. Typical American measurement is 8 oz. for a cup. Average coffee mug is at least 10 oz.
Convenience store sizes in the US are 12, 16, 20 and 24 0z.

If you look at a standard coffee "cup" as in what might come in a dinner set, they're only 4 to 5 oz. Or only about 120 to 140 ml. My Zojirushi calls 5 oz a cup. So does Bunn (which is an American company). Having been in Europe many times I noted their dinner sets do have smaller coffee cups. But then again typical European typically likes their coffee to have some "legs" not the typical brown hot water most Americans like.
FWIW I ran out of coffee in the pot yesterday because I miscounted :D Told my wife I typically make 3 mugs. Which is correct but ONLY when she's out of town visiting her sister or something. I typically make 4 for us. On the Technivorm it came to a "hair" over 8 on the reservoir measurements. On my Zojirushi that would show up as a touch over 7 on the reservoir. Basically "semantics". All I know is the thing makes one DAMN fine cup of coffee and does it fast!
It's actually so different that if I gave you a cup brewed in the Zojirushi and one in the Moccamaster you would swear they were not the same coffee. Very different "nuances".
What I should do is resurrect my old OXO Barista Brain, unit and compare it to the Moccamaster. As if you look into what OXO was aiming for it was the Moccamaster. I think they would be more similar as both are conical filter while the Zoji is a basket type. Also since when OXO brought it out the target they were aiming at was the Moccamaster.
I think that will be on my list of "to do" just to satisfy my curiosity

Well so far loving the brew from the Moccamaster. Only real criticism is the carafe is kinda a PIA to clean LOL. Otherwise never had such great coffee.
Glass or thermal? I decided several years ago that I only want thermal carafes.
I don't want the coffee to cook on the heat plate and breaking the glass ones is a PIA finding and buying replacements. I taste no difference between the two.
Glass are easier to clean but the method I've found for monthly cleaning of the stainless carafe is to drop a dishwasher pod in it and fill it with boiling water. Let it sit for 1-2 hours and rinse.
On a daily basis I thoroughly rinse with hot water and once a week I use some dish soap and a bottle brush.

This is the one I have https://us.moccamaster.com/collections/thermal-carafe-brewers/products/kbgt (thermal). I too gave up on heated pots YEARS ago. I simply use a Libman washing brush with long handle a couple drops of dish soap and wash it clean every night. Then fill it up with hot tap water overnight. In the AM I simply dump and brew. As soon as it's done I switch caps from the pour through to the sealed one. It's a different routine to be sure but I'm used to it and love the brew

Glass or thermal? I decided several years ago that I only want thermal carafes.
I don't want the coffee to cook on the heat plate and breaking the glass ones is a PIA finding and buying replacements. I taste no difference between the two.
Glass are easier to clean but the method I've found for monthly cleaning of the stainless carafe is to drop a dishwasher pod in it and fill it with boiling water. Let it sit for 1-2 hours and rinse.
On a daily basis I thoroughly rinse with hot water and once a week I use some dish soap and a bottle brush.
Effervescent denture cleaning tablets works very well on our SS Yeti mugs. I clean 'em every month or so, and they come out looking brand new. All you do is fill the container with water, and drop a few tablets in. They fizz up and do all the work.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on a SS carafe.
You can pick it up cheap at the Dollar store.

I decided to reward myself with a good quality coffee maker after completing our kitchen remodel myself. Although I already had a decent coffee maker and a decent conical burr grinder, I had been routinely searching FBMP for a Moccamaster. Well I found a person selling a new one...actually two new ones, never opened. Although she was selling locally, I messaged her to ask if she would ship if I paid all shipping costs. She agreed. The first one arrived via UPS two days ago. The second one is in transit. So today or Monday. $222 each including shipping!! I bought one for each house. Currently, I'm using two identical Motif Essentials coffee makers. Again, one for our beach house. They are rebadged Melittas that are quite popular in Europe but not sold in the USA. They brew a great pot of coffee to the SCA Golden Cup standards. But the Moccamaster is the Holy Grail of coffee makers! The bonus is each one comes with a pound of whole bean coffee, a box of #4 filters and a package of descaler. I have the Baratza Encore grinder in our primary home and I recently bought a Delonghi Ariete grinder for the beach house. The coffee in the morning is worth every penny spent on this gear.

This is the one I have https://us.moccamaster.com/collections/thermal-carafe-brewers/products/kbgt (thermal). I too gave up on heated pots YEARS ago. I simply use a Libman washing brush with long handle a couple drops of dish soap and wash it clean every night. Then fill it up with hot tap water overnight. In the AM I simply dump and brew. As soon as it's done I switch caps from the pour through to the sealed one. It's a different routine to be sure but I'm used to it and love the brew
Everyone has their own ritual...and that ritual, for me, is therapeutic and an excellent way to start my day.
I have two of the model similar to yours but it's got the cylindrical tank.
I have been filling the carafe with hot tap water while I grind the beans. The Baratza Encore does an excellent job but it's slow.

Attachments

• 81Qx-iaHbXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81Qx-iaHbXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
I clean our SS Yeti mugs with a cap full of bleach and fill with water. Let stand for an hour dump out and rinse with water.

I clean our SS Yeti mugs with a cap full of bleach and fill with water. Let stand for an hour dump out and rinse with water.
<scratches head> Odd. In brewing, bleach is anywhere from frowned upon to leading up to a fight when used on stainless steel. It has a bad effect on the outermost layer which is where much of the corrosion resistance is. If it works for you, go for it.

I've gotten quite attached to using Powdered Brewery Wash for both my brewing equipment as kitchen stuff. It's basically a Ph stabilzed OxyClean. Do NOT let it sit on bare aluminum, it will pit it in very short order, but does a bang-up job on baked on crud.

Back