Techniques for Pre-Cooking Brisket

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've asked this before, but I've never had success. I need to smoke a brisket and then re-heat it a few days later. It always ends up too dry.
What do you think of this idea -- I smoke it for 8 hours or so, then just put it in the freezer for a week. When I'm ready, I just braise it in a little beef broth until it's ready.

Stone..thats sounds good...but I have never done it. Perhaps someone has done that, and had some luck. I have reheated before, and it was never all that dried out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It always ends up too dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How have you been reheating?

Stone,

The technique I use is if it is in the freezer let it thaw to room temp then wrap it in foil in put in the oven at 175 degrees. The mosture will remain in the meat with the use of the foil and keeping it at a low temp will being it up slowly. I would never put the brisket in the microwave or any other BBQ.

Mike

You can always give it a shot and see how it comes out, but I think braising will ruin the bark and make the outside soggy. I don't think I'd do it that way.

I would cook it until done, then store it and reheat it later. I just wrap the brisket in foil and heat in the oven, but you could also try sealing in a foodsaver bag and heat it in a pot of simmering water. That would probably work about the best.

I cook till done as well--done meaning moist and tender, not a temp. I rest 20-30 min on the counter, uncovered, then move to the fridge to finish cooling. Then I freeze.

I thaw for reheating. The brisket is removed from the vac-pack, placed on a rack in a roasting pan, and drizzled with stock to which some melted unsalted butter has been added. A remote probe goes into the middle and the pan gets tightly covered with foil and placed in a 300 oven. I remove it when the internal is 145--150 tops. Brisket--nor other Q'd meats--do not need to be reheated slowly. They simply should not be overheated. Pulled pork one has leeway with; brisket not so.

I usually have been thawing, although not all the way, and reheating in a covered foil tray -- not necessarily wrapping the brisket in the foil. Usually at 300*.

The big deal is to make sure the brisket doesn't overcook when it is first cooked, then doesn't overheat when it's reheated.

If you place the brisket on a rackon the tray the brsket will be elevated. Add a little something for moisture. Covering the entire tray with foil (after inserting a remote probe) and leaving a little headspace between the top of the brisket and the foil will allow more even reheating. Remove when the probe hits 154 or shortly therafter. Rest 5 min.

I cooked three briskets early for a graduation party and the way I did it worked great.

1. Cooked the brisket to done. Let sit for two hours in the foil, opened, removed and saved the liquid. Let cool to almost room temp - foil open.

2. Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then wrapped in two layers of aluminum foil. Put into freezer.

3. Pulled out of freezer two days before needed to thaw. Heated in a 200 degree oven until it was 135 degrees without taking out of wrapping.

This worked great for me. The meat was not dried out at all and I put the de-fatted juice back over after slicing. Everyone raved over the brisket and I did not have to cook the day of the party.

"3. Pulled out of freezer two days before needed to thaw. Heated in a 200 degree oven until it was 135 degrees without taking out of wrapping."

You thawed in the Fridge?
You put the plastic wrap in the oven?

I use a cooler to thaw - ususally do not have room in fridge.

Yes, the brisket goes right into the oven with the plastic wrap and the foil - keeps it moist and the plastic wrap is supposed to be good to 500 degrees, but I only had the oven at 200.

Back