TC AMP board for 3 probes

I'm definitely a novice when it comes to eagle and component placement. I can spend 4 hours trying different spots and it never looks as good as what you have dave. As Bryan has seen there are also spots under the amps that the traces look very close and be to close for a fab to fabricate. I also like the stacking the boards.

I have tried to cancle my order for the board from Oshpark but not sure if they stopped it. i also like the stacking board and more info on it?
I would like to order one. Has any one found a source for cheap food tc probes?

Last edited:
Osh is really good at responding to emails. I had to cancel a order on christmas day, he returned my payment and sent me an email within minutes of the email i sent.

@ Bryan: it was just the image, I took a screenshot instead of exporting it in eagle. But you were right, it was a bit close in some places.

I relaxed it slightly and correctly exported the image this time
Breakout_2.png

In theory, the 3.3V should match the position of the pull-up of the PIT probe on the HM board. I will check this as soon as I have my board here. I just went for all four TC connections on the breakout board, as it will partially cover the one already available on the HM board. I thought it would be more convenient like that. And for the routing: the auto-route of Eagle never gave me pleasant results up to now. I always ended in routing everything on my own up to now - but the largest project was a dual lab power supply up to now.

I can share the eagle file if someone wants to have a go, I will report as soon as I have my HM here and assembled.

But now I have to prepare my WSM for 7kg pulled pork :-D

Best,
Daniel

Just a small update:

received my HM Board yesterday, populated it today and at least did a short test if the breakout board would fit.
assembled.jpg

As I designed the board, I didn't fully get which side is up in the Eagle file... Hence, the first design would have to be mounted on the joystick side of the HM Board... at least it wouldn't make the HM Board wider - but I wanted it on the other side.

fit1.jpg

I can also flip it to the other side, running an additional wire for the 3.3V:

fit2.jpg

The advantage is that it shifts the low voltage analog stuff further away from the AVR... I think I'll go for a slightly modified version:

fit3.jpg

Breakout_3.png

I'll updated as soon as I have etched and tested the board.

Best,
Daniel

and here is the update, everything working fine!

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

I gave all four TC probes a quick touch with a small torch for the temperature peak:

done3.jpg

I can share the Eagle files if someone is interested. I have not uploaded anything to OSH Park yet, but you are free to do so. I have not included the bottom side ground plane in the eagle file yet, but this should be easy to do.

Best,
Daniel

Nicely done! One thing I noticed is that you don't appear to have the 16mhz crystal installed for the atmega328p.

Nicely done! One thing I noticed is that you don't appear to have the 16mhz crystal installed for the atmega328p.

Unfortunately I had to go for the SMD version. You can see it on the second image of post #25. It was not available as through hole version on the two german electronics stores I placed my orders at. Mouser and digikey charge you an arm and a leg for shipping to Germany (23$ shipping for mouser and $30 for digikey)...

Daniel,
I would be interested. Could you send me the PCB files. I am not a fan of the resistive probes as well. Looking to upgrade my hm

and here is the update, everything working fine!

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

I gave all four TC probes a quick touch with a small torch for the temperature peak:

done3.jpg

I can share the Eagle files if someone is interested. I have not uploaded anything to OSH Park yet, but you are free to do so. I have not included the bottom side ground plane in the eagle file yet, but this should be easy to do.

Best,
Daniel

Daniel,
I would be interested. Could you send me the PCB files. I am not a fan of the resistive probes as well. Looking to upgrade my hm

Back