Taylor Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I just ordered my first WSM 3 days ago, I can't wait for it to get here. In anticipation of it's arrival I picked up a TAYLOR digital probe thermo today. Anyone had any experience with is brand. It was only $17 at Target. I look forward to smokin', and I want to thank all of you i have learned alot already by just hanging around the past couple weeks.

Smokem'if you got 'em
Bruce B.

Like most things in life, some people swear by these Polder clones, others at them.

I have two of the Taylor digital thermometers like yours and I’m happy with them. The older one I’ve had for more than three years and I believe it’s still on the same battery it had in it when it came over on the boat.

Keep water out of the connection between the metal probe and the cable and you should easily get your $17 of trouble free use out of it over the years.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread a couple weeks ago about a run of Taylor probes that didn’t measure up to specs a while back and would give false readings. Someone here contacted the company and posted the address where replacement probes are available at a fair price. I may order a couple extra probes to have on hand in case either of mine fails.

Hi,
If you want to order a new Taylor probe the cost is $2.50 per probe. Here are the particulars:

===========================================
Taylor Model #1470 additional probes are available at the listed price of $2.50 each. Taylor does not take credit cards or COD. Personal check or money order only. Please somewhere on the check or money order write the part number: 1470RP

Please make it out to the following and mail:

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: A. Salas

Once Taylor receives your letter Taylor will drop an order for how many probes that are needed. Taylor pays for the shipping.
=========================================

These probes are interchangeable with the Polder, Pyrex and other single probe digital thermometers.

Regards,
PrestonD

Had two new Taylor's at last springs Paul Kirks class in Portland, Oregon. Both were crap. Off by a mile, gave both away. Never will try them again.

Checked the accuracy of my Taylr probe today using the boiling point test from the FAQ section. Entered the barometric pressure and our elevation which I got off the internet. It came out at 210.5. The water was boiling and my Taylor read 210. I think I'll keep it.

Dennis,
If the Taylor probes you had were that much off, you most likely either had the older defective probes that Taylor had or the probes you had were corrupted with moisture.

The newer probes have a better seal connection on the crimp and the internal electrical connection for the ground inside the probe is now speced out for more reliable connection.

You should have contacted Taylor, I bet they would have replaced your units...

Regards,
PrestonD

These units were both brand new right out of the box. To much trouble to try to send back, went polder route with insta-read manual backups. Can not have to many thermo's.

I have burned out quite a few of the poulder types before I had my WSM on my weber kettle but I still swear by them (rather than at them. This for me has been my most important tool in keeping my temps under control on the grill (I dont't smoke without the probe in the potatoe trick!!!) I have only questioned their accuracy on one occasion and I think that was my error not the probes. I use them interchangebly with the maverick remote unit with great results. I have not done the oil immersion on any of mine though I just clean them carefully by wiping them down first with asoapy rag then a clean one!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PrestonD:
[qb]Hi,
If you want to order a new Taylor probe the cost is $2.50 per probe. Here are the particulars:

===========================================
Taylor Model #1470 additional probes are available at the listed price of $2.50 each. Taylor does not take credit cards or COD. Personal check or money order only. Please somewhere on the check or money order write the part number: 1470RP

Please make it out to the following and mail:

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: A. Salas

Once Taylor receives your letter Taylor will drop an order for how many probes that are needed. Taylor pays for the shipping.
=========================================

These probes are interchangeable with the Polder, Pyrex and other single probe digital thermometers.

Regards,
PrestonD[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader. This really works, but the price has gone up. I sent a check of $20.00 to Taylor in New Mexico and they sent me 4 probe replacements. Not counting shipping that comes to $5.00 a probe. It took about a week to get them here in TX. Each works perfect.

Bill

Myself and a couple of other folks made an update in other posts (not here) regarding the price to $5, sorry to miss this one. Its best to check before ordering I guess.
PrestonD

Sounds like most everybody is having good luck with their taylors probes. Wonder why the ones I just got read way off in my polders. Is it possible they sent the wrong probes?

None of the manufacturers would probably guarantee that their probes would work with any other manufacturers base units. There is a circuit that the probe interfaces with and the resistor (thermister) and capacitor in that circuit has some tuning characteristics...differences in the values may cause different behaviors (bias) in circuit response and the values that are reported...

I am pretty much buying the taylor probes and base units now. I like the on/off switch and the extra sealing features of the taylor probe that the other units do not have.

Good luck!
PrestonD

I have been using a Taylor since day 1 w/o any compalints. I am also a home brewer with old school analog style thermometers. These always need to be checked and tweaked for accuracy. I too have used the boiling water test to check. Adjusting for higher elevation, I have consistantly found it to be within 1-2 degrees.

Give this, slo-n-lo BBQ is like Homebrewing. Don't worry, it is supposed to be fun. And despite what you do or don't, more often than not, it will come out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back