Taylor thermometer in WSM

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I got a Taylor wired type thermometer for a gift a while back.

It has a probe and the wire that goes from the probe to the external unit has what looks like Silicon insulation on it.

Instructions says "Do not use metal cord and probe for oven temperatures higher than 200 C or 393 F".

Could I use this in the WSM cooker ?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I've done a few "high heat" cooks on the WSM and had a very difficult time getting the temps above 325*. It can be done (cracking the door, offsetting the lid a little, etc.) but, like I said, it wasn't easy for me. I don't do high heat stuff on the bullet anymore. I reserve those cooks for the kettle.

Anyway, to answer your question. IMO I think you should be alright. If you are doing low and slow in your WSM you probably are targeting a temp range of 220*-250*, well within the limits of that thermometer.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

T was thinking about using it for meatloaf cooking in the 325-350 range.

My WSM cooker runs cool like Bryan S's. Empty foiled water pan and I very seldom get above 350, usually 325 ish. Using Briquettes.

I probably have the same one as yours, been using it for over a year on the WSM with no problems.
If you run it under the lid put a small square of foil under the wire to help shield it from the heat. (I just drop it down the top vent).

Tim

Tim

Mine is similar to the "polder" cheaper thermometer. Looks like the same basic unit and wire as well.

I have seen some with "shielded" wires but a lot with the "Silcone" loooking type insulation.

Thanks for you input, will use a little foil to set wire on, as you indicate for first try with the thermometer. Will work well with the setup I have a grill shelf right next to the cooker, good to set the external unit on.

John,
I had one of those Taylor therms like you describe with the silicone type insulation on the probe wire and it worked fine in the WSM low or high heat for a couple of years. The unit only stopped working one day for other unknown reasons. I suspect water may have gotten into either the probe or the unit itself.

Tom

Tom

Thanks for your reply.

Just curious, did you run the wire under the lid or through the top vent hole ? Did you wrap the wire in tinfoil or anthing special ?

Wire looks a little "flimsy", compared to some I have seen with the braided type insulation.

P.S. Back in 1997 I drove up to and all around Alaska, what a Beautiful State you live in. If I win the lottery or rob a bank for the gas money, I'd like to do it again some day.

Happy Smoking !!!

Back