Tax Return:What should I buy for BBQ?

ow that I have bought my kettle before getting my refund maybe I'll get a WSM, cast iron grates for the kettle or the Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie.

Originally posted by Clay Cope:
Already ordered and received. MEat Slicer and man does it make it easy to slice up a brisket, onions, tomatoes, cheese, on and on. Slicer

Now THAT's and excellent suggestion, Clay! And it's a purchase I've been thinking a lot about.

Rich

Originally posted by John Henderson:
I'm confused. Normally you send a tax return to the government.

Now if you meant a refund,, if I get one of those, that means I submit an updated W4 with my employer to try to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Ha Ha...Good Point John. I should have said refund not RETURN. Anyway, We are getting a REFUND this year so I am going to make sure to buy something fun.

Originally posted by Davo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael C.:
I'd splurge on some cool cast iron grates!
http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/onlinestore/store.html

Michael, you won't be sorry with your purchase of the cast iron grill for the kettle, I've had mine now for just over a Month now and I'm practically using them all the time now..they are that good.
The only thing is that I haven't yet had the change to throw a good steak on it yet but have done lots of grilled chicken which makes them taste more like...umm chicken
icon_biggrin.gif

The do however tend to get a bt more greasy than the wire weber grill and theres just not enough space in the Qtr sections to place the chimney for a charcoal start-up but they are very easy to take on/off the kettle and very sturdy.
I wouldn't bother getting the grill lifter as a good strong pair of tongs will do the same job.

Hope you have fun with it..I have
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe you didnt have money to buy a steak because you spent 100 dollars on a grate!
icon_smile.gif
... Sorry I couldnt resist!

When my taxes get back it is brisket time! I just don't do that many because it is so expensive.. I do not know why that is. I find pork butts for 99 cents a pound all the time! Brisket is almost always 2.00 lb for packers and much more for flats,..When you spend two dollars a pound about half that is rendered or trimmed away! I am going to do a whole packer and make burnt ends this time...no short cuts, all night smoke and then separate the two pieces of meat and cook the point a couple more hours. Then cube it for burnt ends...They are the bomb!!

I am going to get a new tax person to do my taxes. Maybe then I can get some money back, rather than paying each year. What blows my mind is I don't make enough to be paying each year.
icon_confused.gif

Well if I get anything back (got married 3 years ago and last July had a future low and slow fan
jujummmpy.jpg

Wife wants new covering for the windows (1950s house with lots o windows)

I want new windows (1950s house with lots o windows) and I can feel breeze coming in.

Both are out of our budget, so maybe a nice dinner?? Not made by me
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Davo:
I wouldn't bother getting the grill lifter as a good strong pair of tongs will do the same job.
Davo

Certainly to each his own, but I would encourage the grate lifter. I do have strong tongs and other implements that are "capable" of lifting a grate. But one major reason I lift a grate is to add wood chunks under them. For this and other times that I stick my hands UNDER a flaming HOT GRATE, I want a tool designed to keep the grate in the air with no possibility that it will come down on my hand. Even if I use tongs to insert the chunks, I want the grate to stay up.

I first learned about a grate lifter from a guy that had more than 70 years experience with grilling and smoking (his grandfather was a smokemaster for Hormel and taught him all he knows to go along with his personal 40 years). If he thought a grate lifter was an important tool, that's more than enough for me -- to say nothing of my own comfort. (BTW, for me a grate lifter is used to lift one end of the grate while the other is securely down on the grill. Carrying a grate requires two hands.)

Rich

Back