Taste Difference Between Select & Choice Brisket?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I checked out my local Smart&Final store (Mission St in Daly City) for brisket; they're selling select grade for $1.39/lb. My local butcher (Central Food on Crespi Ave in Pacifica) can get choice grade for $1.99/lb. <br /><br />Would I be able to taste the difference between the two grades?

Dave-

Apparently someone at S&F messed up a couple weeks ago and they got a shipment of choice briskets (1.29, I think.) I got one and it was the first non-Select brisket I had done. It was AWESOME! Much juicier, and better flavor than previous attempts. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I got another one from my butcher (for almost a buck more than yours is charging), and it is on NOW. Should be having brisket for lunch tomorrow..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I say, go for the extra $$ and be HAPPY!

Rich G.

It's not so much a matter of taste as it is that certain je nais ce quois that comes with a better grade of meat. I've always been much happier with choice briskets than select, especially as concerns the flat.

If you liked choice you should try Prime. Have a great source up here in Oregon that sells them to us for $1.59 per pound. An additional benefit is they cook at about 1 hour per pound. We are able to put a ten pounder on in the morning and have it come off a couple of hours before dinner.

Yeah, I'm down in Medford but would like to know where you are getting the prime for that price. I head northward off and on.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back