Tartar sauce

John Mason

TVWBB All-Star
I know this doesn't have much to do with BBQ, but I find myself looking for the "quintessential" recipe for a number of dishes, sauces and the like.

I'm working on my lasagne, pepperoni, brie (been sidetracked on that one for a while), fish batter, bratwurst, BBQ sauces and, of course, tartar sauce. I love tartar sauce.

Does anyone have what they consider to be "the" tartar sauce recipe they'd be willing to share?

And how come it doesn't usually have cream of tartar in it?
icon_confused.gif

Thanks

Tartar sauce is the English for the French 'sauce tartare'. Tartare is idiomatic in this case and means 'rough' or 'rustic'.

I dislike American versions because they are sweet or sweetened. The original and its variations do not contain sugar or sweetening and I prefer these versions.

The best, imo, means that you make it from scratch.

1 egg yolk

salt

.33 t Dijon

1.5 t fresh lemon juice

1 t champagne or white wine vinegar

.75 c canola oil

3-4 cornichons, minced

1 t cornichon juice

2 T minced shallot

1 T capers, rinsed then slightly minced

Optional, depending on use: 1 t minced tarragon leaves; 2 t minced parsley leaves; or 2 t minced chives

Whisk egg yolk in medium bowl till smooth. Add a couple pinches salt, Dijon, lemon juice, and vinegar and whisk until yolk thickens and color brightens, about 45 secs. Add a little of the oil--just several drops, while whisking, till the emulsificstion starts then continue to whisk vigorously, adding oil in a very slow stream, till the oil is incorporated completely and mayonnaise thickens.

Stir in the minced cornichons, cornichon juice, minced shallot and capers, any optional ingredients, adjust salt, and serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
What the heck is a cornichon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A young cucumber. Think of dill pickle.

I like to make my tartar sauce with some mayo, onion, lemon juice, sweet pickle, salt and white pepper. Make sure you refrigerate for a few hours to let everything blend together.

Erik

Yes, tiny though--gherkins, actually, but smaller than the gherkins used here for pickles. Most gherkins here are pickled rather sweet, unlike elsewhere where they aren't. I used the term cornichons to differentiate from the sweet, larger gherkins common here. Cornichons tend to be 1.5-2 inches in lenght and .25-.33 inches at their widest.

The best pickles, imo, are imported--whether sweet or not. Other than the small artisan producers, commercial makers here always seem to add artificial colors to pickles--and preservatives. If pickles are correctly made they never need preservatives. And I don't get the phony color thing.

Kevin, in this thread and in the one you just linked to, you mention Dijon. Everything that comes up on Googe is either the city in France or the prepared mustard. Is this a spice or the prepared mustard?

Thanks,

Bill

The prepared mustard. Fwiw, I like Roland organic extra strong, often available at WF, and Trader Joe's brand, as they lack the extra ingredients common to American-made Dijons like Grey Poupon. But I'd take it or another American or Canadian Dijon over prepared yellow mustard any day.

Yes, John, more brat info!

Back