Talk to me about stacking sections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Since I have another WSM on order, I'm starting to think about stacking the sections for a cook. If you've done this, as Chris describes in the "Increasing Capacity" section, would you mind posting a bit about what you did, what you cooked, and any observations or suggestions you would have for someone trying this for the first time?

Many thanks -
Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Um, buying a step ladder so you can reach the lid? I've wondered about this as well.

Rath *sorry I couldn't be more helpful*

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I had already thought about a step-stool!

Wish I could help... but I'm just a poor southern boy with only one WSM.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I would certainly want something to securly hold the two center sections together. If you know anyone that can 'roll' metal... get them to 'roll' a piece of "I" section, aluminum extrusion into a loop so that one channel is up, and the one is down (like an H). That would give you a good connection for the two pieces.

| = top middle
H = al extrusion
| = bottom middle

don't know what this will look like when it is posted

The top of the middle section isn't straight like the bottom of it is-- it's flanged out for the lid to sit in/on. Unless you are planning on putting the bottom one upside-down?

You are right Doug. Guess I wasn't thinking, when I was thinking about this.
icon_confused.gif

Never mind.
icon_rolleyes.gif

They probably will fit together pretty well. Just an aluminum foil gasket needed.
icon_wink.gif

I experimented with stacking center sections a couple years ago.

The top section more or less rested on the center section's flange rather than slipping inside it like it does with the bottom section. A gasket of loosely crumpled HD foil was all that was really needed to get the sections to nest together relatively securely.

My results were pretty inconclusive since I tried it when the outside temp was around 0. I don't remember the particulars but the temperature spread between the grates of the upper and lower was much wider than I expected. The upper section was considerably cooler than the lower. That gap probably would have been much less pronounced if I had done the experiment sometime besides January.

I'd be interested in how your experiment turns out, should you try it.

Keri,

I did the "double stack" when I cooked for an office function. Here's what it looked like--> Double Stacked WSM I put 40+ lbs of shoulder on the top 2 racks and then 16+ lbs of brisket on the bottom two. It was awesome.

Some lessons learned:
- a 2x cooking chamber uses more fuel than you would think. I did not get my typical overnighter burn. I started the above load at about 3pm, before 2 am my ET-73 alerted me I was below desired cooking temp. I was out of fuel and had to relight/reload.
- that much cold meat takes a "while" to come up to cooking temp. I'm guessing over 2x a normal cook.
- I did seem to notice some flaky tempature swings, BUT that day had the most wind that I have ever used my WSM. So I'm not sure that is a good gauge.

I will use that set up again. I will spend a bit more time crafting the foil gasket. That is the key. Everything else seems to work as normal, making allowances for the time and fuel differences I mentioned above.

Hate to ask a dumb question, but what would be the advantage?? Seems to me that the only possible advantage would be putting another grate where the water pan should fit in the top section and there are some mods on this site that will give 3 grates where two normally fit. The disadvantage is the increased fuel consumption and larger temp differences noted above.

In this case I think running two bullets instead of a double stack would have operating advantages, particluarly, working with your existing knowledge base (no need to reinvent the wheel).

Vernon,

My doubling up is based on my having a "extra" middle section. Because of shipping damages, my initial order gave me some extra parts, but not enough for a complete 2nd WSM. If I had another top, I probably would run 2. As is, this is the next best option.

If you have access to an extra lid, I'll buy that from you and I'll be set. ;-)

I don’t have an extra center section; just one customized WSM. When I first assembled it, I added a third cooking grate (between the first two) among other things. Fortunately, this has always provided me the capacity I needed. In one session I can cook:

• 3 14-lb briskets
• 6 7-lb pork butts
• 6 slabs of St. Louis spare ribs (more if I rolled them but I don't like to do that)
• 6 large butterflied chickens

Each of these options results in over 20 pounds of finished product. Good thing I have a Foodsaver, huh? I guess I’m lucky I have never needed more capacity, but I don’t compete.

Stacking does not seem to save much in terms of charcoal. So if I ever needed more capacity, I would just fire up two WSMs.

Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ..a 2x cooking chamber uses more fuel than you would think. I did not get my typical overnighter burn. I started the above load at about 3pm, before 2 am my ET-73 alerted me I was below desired cooking temp. I was out of fuel and had to relight/reload.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Keri, I have a couple of thoughts for you though I haven't tried this of course.

This might be a practical application of the Charcoal Chamber Mod increased fuel capacity thread. With the standard water pan you could use a taller ring. There might be enough clearance to stack one on top of the other and wire them together, or if they are not both exactly the same size perhaps you could sort of wedge one inside the other. Use lump and you're all set (no ash clog).

I bet a Silver Bullet Smoking Jacket (wonder if they have them in 'Tall' size
icon_smile.gif
) and a Guru would turn your double stack into one mean BBQ machine. Just have to figure out Guru probe placement. I think the Jacket would really help equalize the temp inside.

Practically though, if you have to flip or baste or move around, running two pits might be easier than doing a 'hot squat' (over your head?
icon_wink.gif
) or removing up to three grates to get to the bottom one.

I think the only reason I would try adding a second middle section was if I wanted to hang something in the cooker and needed the additional height, like full slabs of ribs. I think some folks have had good success with that.

Regards,
Chris

I think stacking them falls in the category of "just for the fun of it" all practicalitys aside BBQ is just a fun thing to do. I love experimenting, keeps the hobby fun. Stack any higher than 2 you may need a strobe light on top and guy wires to hold that thing up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I think the only reason I would try adding a second middle section was if I wanted to hang something in the cooker and needed the additional height, like full slabs of ribs. I think some folks have had good success with that.

Regards,
Chris <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good observation Chris. Barring that, and the idle curiosity of attempting it, I don't see the benefit. Others have opined on the drawbacks. I'll add that the base of the WSM isn't very wide, and adding another 30-40 pounds higher up would significantly raise the center of gravity. Keep that sucker out of the wind if you try it. Also, the charcoal chamber is relatively small, and adding all that extra steel provides for a whole lot more surface area to cool the smoker. In other words, you've got a big old radiator there. That's likely one cause of increased fuel consumption.

Personally, I'd just run both WSMs individually, but then again, maybe I'm just a prude
icon_razz.gif

Here's an Idea i'm cooking up. My WSM came with a damaged center section. I called and they immediately sent a replacment.

I went to the flea market and found a rottisirie motor, shaft, and skewers in a box, looked like they had never been used. One dollar later, I had a plan.

Going to mount that puppy at the top of the damaged center and cook a turkey on that setup. Probably sometime after the new year.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

This had crossed my mind, but never had a middle section I wanted to modify for such a purpose. Let us know how it goes, and take photos.

Regards,
Chris

It might be interesting to do the second middle section without a water pan. I have cooked prime rib at 350f without a water pan and it came out great. The extra height would make the "direct" cooking a lot easier.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back