Talk to me about rib eye roasts in the WSM, please.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
We're thinking about trying our hand at a ribeye roast for Friday night munchies at a comp this weekend. On hand will be one WSM and the beast that DH Robert built (gravity feed Stumps clone with 30 sq' of cooking space.)

Am I better off using a bone-in or a boneless roast? I'm considering probably a couple of hours at 300-325-ish in the WSM over lump with just a bit of cherry, to around 125, then removing from the WSM to rest. I read through the standing rib roast articles that Chris posted, and wanted to check in with the collective experience of the constituency as well.

Many thanks -
Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ
Still smokin' on Tulsa Time

I really like using the WSM to cook ribeye roasts. My personal preference is bone in, but I've had good results with both. Your plan for the cook sounds like a good one - wish I was close by!

Hi Keri, I too prefer bone in as it makes for a great snack and do feel that you get some extra flavor from the bone. My preferred method is to let the roast sit out for an hour or two, then put on the cooker at 250 - 275 and cook till about 5 - 10 degrees shy of where you would normally pull it and then reverse sear it in a hot grill. Of course you can always ramp your WSM up to a higher heat at the end of your cook too.

The reason I like the lower temps is I feel I get a more even roast vs. the outside being well done and the center being med. rare.

Hope this helps.

Keri,

I posted a question to Gary Wiviott regarding high heat cooks and in his response to me he described his method for roasting a ribeye roast on the WSM. It sounded delicious, you may want to check it out here.

Don't forget to post pics of whatever you do!

I have my grocery store butcher cut the roast off the bones, then tie it all back together. After roasting and resting, I untie everything and have a boneless roast with the added flavor of having been cooked on the bone.

If I am feeling really industrious, prior to cooking I untie the roast, apply seasoning to all sides, then tie it back together again.

I do what Frank does. Your plan sounds fine. I really like the tenderness/texture of the meat close to the bone. You tend to loose that if you remove it. Frankly I find these one of the easiest cuts to cook. Anything past the 125 degree mark = caution IMHO it goes down hill after that and you would be defeating the purpose of buying a standing rib roast.

I've done both with very happy results. If I did a bone in, I wouldn't
cut anything until after the cook. If your snacking, what's more perfect then a "rib-eye 'cicle"!
I agree... 125 MAX with carryover.... Better yet, 115 and reverse sear with a 30 min. carryover.

This is one case where I prefer bone in and LOW temps, actually right around 200º, until the internal temp hits 130º (temp will not rise much if at all due to the low cooking temp). It does take a long time to cook, versus the higher temps, but the finished product, especially texture is worth the wait. It will also give you a uniform doneness through out the roast.

Here's the Christmas Roast we did.

personally, I dislike when the outer ring separates from the inner "eye." so I monkey with the roast as little as possible.

When I work with pork roasts I usually have the butcher saw off the chine so I can cut the roast at the ribs.

Hey Keri, thanks posting this, the SO asked where I wanted to go for my B-Day dinner tonight after thinking long and hard on the options, sushi, Thai, Italian nah, go pick-up a 3 - 4 bone standing rib roast and we'll stay in! This post got my taste buds going for beef, thanks! I'm going to do her low over some oak wine staves from some red wine casks.

What did you ever decide to go with on your cook?

if i am cookign anything but brisket or ribs i use oven roasting settings on my wsm and follow the cook times for given temps as i can dial my wsm's into any temp i need to produce roasts and such at whatever level of doneness i am shooting for.

i tend to treat it like an outdoor oven.

Larry, I didn't get to do this ribeye roast cook at the comp last weekend after all. I searched our two Sam's and hit up the meat men at my local supermarkets, and no luck on getting the roast. A retired meat-man who cooks with us sometimes said that when a holiday is upcoming in the next few weeks, the vast majority of ribeye roasts are held to be turned into steaks.
icon_frown.gif
Oh well - I'm sure I can come up with another occasion sometime soon to try it out.

Many thanks to all for the suggestions and advice - when I do get to do this cook, I'll be reviewing this thread.

Regards to all,
Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ
Still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Ms Keri: Been a while but I saw this and had to step in...

Years ago, Shawn W had this link on Butter-Smoked Rib-Eye w/pics and about the same time, AB's segment on Rib Roast was airing.

So, I came up with the following...

1 Rib Roast (3-4 bone, loin end) (bone, bone-less, your choice)
1/4 C oil of choice
kosher salt (to taste)
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
2 sticks salted butter
2 pkg Knorr's Bernaise

Prep WSM aiming at 225°-250° and smoke wood of choice, (I like maple or apple)

Oil and season rib roast.

Place "catch pan" on lower rack of WSM.

Place Rib Roast on top rack with butter setting on top of it.

When internal temps hit 118°-125°, pull and foil the roast. Set kitchen OVEN to 500°. While it comes up to temp, retrieve the catch pan of 'smoked' butter and drippings. Once oven hits 500°, un-foil the roast and place in oven for 15 minutes ONLY (this is what give the roast a nice crust). Pull the roast from the oven, tent it and let rest. Make Knorr's Bernaise sauce per package using the 'smoked' butter, set to simmer.

Slice roast and serve topped with the smokey Bernaise sauce.

Back