Taking Temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I have read just about everything on the site, but still have a question. I have been taking my temp readings on the center cooking grate. I have been using a cork to position a Podler probe about 1" above the grate and about 2" from the edge of the grate. I get a very consistant reading of about 230* using this method. Is the the correct area to read from? Is the WSB supposed to be this consistant? I have just smoked one item so far and this is what I got. I am just a bit shocked since I used to use a Char-Broil H20 smoker and it held temp cosistantly and needed to be babysat the whole time. So, basically my question is...What is the place that everyone reads their temp? I just got my smoker, so I am not too keen (yet) on drilling a hole in it to mount a thermometer. Thanks for your help, everyone!

In my opinion, there's no "correct" place to read temperature. Some folks will argue that measuring temp at the grate is more meaningful than at the lid, but it's a matter of preference. Either way, once you get to know your WSM and how it performs, you'll do just fine using either method. Just develop a consistent approach that works well for you.

If measuring at the grate, just don't measure too close to the edge of the grate. The heat that flows up around the water pan can give readings that are too high. I would measure on the top grate, away from the edge. Guys like Stogie have been known to stick a Polder probe clean through a slab of ribs or the corner of a brisket to hold the probe.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Tom,
A long metal stem candy thermometer measures from 100* to 400* and comes with a clip that's supposed to hold it to the side of a pot. If you invert the clip and put the therm. all the way in the clip it makes a handle and helps the probe balance when you put the stem thru the top hole in the lid of the bullet. This therm along with a polder beside the meat, away the edge of the grill, will let you know for sure what's going on in the bullet.
These WSM's are amazingly stable once you've got the temp where you want it. They are very low maintenance.
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Dave
Oh, and try sand instead of water -I'm a recent convert.

Hi TomK and welcome!

I like to measure my smoker temps as close to the meat as possible. As Chris mentioned, I simply poke the probe through the meat and use the meat as a holder. But anything will work to hold it in place.

Just be consistent as Chris also mentioned.....exactly why am I chiming in here when everything has already been mentioned?? LOL

Tom, my 2 cents on this issue is it doesn't really matter where you measure the temp. It is important to know if the cooker is 150? or 300? but a 5 or 10 degree difference between the grate or the vent is meaningless. Probably the hardest thing to learn about the WSM is to just relax and let it do it's thing. Once I learned that I just drop my Taylor digital through the top vent and try to keep it between 225? and 250?. Makes for a real easy cooking experience.

Enjoy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back