Taking one for the team!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was at Costco and picked up a dbl 20 of the Kirkland “Pro”
Had some boneless CSR (Country Style Ribs, Larry😉) so, I thought why wait?
First ignition, they started in maybe 12 minutes, maybe 2-4 minutes than K Pro no big deal, ignition smoke was somewhat less and start up heat is excellent. Pork is on right now and going nicely, I will add the vegetable course in another few minutes.
Will advise.

Hat to ask. How is the smell? Like Kingsford? Which to me smell like the oil refineries down by Joliet and in Indiana. I have that little 18" Jumbo Joe and was considering trying some when I saw them. But, not if they smell like Kingsford ones

Ignition smell was nominal, less so than KBB for sure, a little less than Kpro if I was held to the fire but, I don’t find that as harsh as KBB.
So, first impressions,
Lights easily,
Not awful ignition aroma,
Heat seems very good, this was an indirect pork cook.
This bears more (35# more in bin and bag) after 40#, I need to try it as a WSM fuel, maybe next weekend.
Value? Jury is still out tonight.
Will update as more opinions arise.

O.K.
Heat seemed every bit as even as KPro.
I will wait for shut down to see how the ash is but, initial observation is not bad.
Noticed that one sweep has “risen” so, this might not be the most fair. As far as ash is concerned.
We shall see.
Sweeps are tighter in the 18”, I might try a direct steak cook on Sunday and see what that shows.

you gonna braise the CSR's?
Nope, straight indirect method.
I don’t braise them very often anymore, unless they are big, these were more “strips”. But, that’s not the point of the thread.
Tomorrow, I think I will try a straight direct steak cook.
More to follow…

Tired a quick light hibachi cook, tried a three paper towel oil light in the (old) hibachi. Might have been fine with a little more paper towel but, it didn’t take off as well as I’d hoped. Then the little grey cells kicked in, “You just bought the flamethrower!”
Under two minutes and it was kicking in very nicely! Ignition smoke was not awful, very low “stink factor” quickly ready to cook, under ten minutes and, on the hibachi I used only 15 briquettes just fine for a quick hot dog cook!
Another reasonable result from the Kirkland briquettes.
I’m still testing, and so far? I’m pretty impressed.

Better than KBB ? ( Yes / No )
Better than Kpro ? ( Yes / No )
Jury is still out, I rarely use the hibachi but for some quick dogs, it worked well.
First impression, probably better than KBB yes. Less aromatic ignition. Fast, hot in a basic “wide open” cook!
In an indirect cook, it’s done pretty well on four cooks, (CSR, rack of pork, Texas Twinkies, chicken thighs) no complaints, good value.
Bigger steak cook? I think it’s pretty much a draw.
Have not done a WSM cook with it yet.

Back