Taking care of the grates

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just wondering how You all Oil your grates Do you use a washcloth, paintbrush, or something else that I have not heard off yet

Hi Mike

Very good question, - I noticed yesterday upon upacking my new lady ( WSM) that the grills were nicely coated with oil, - but I guess this is to prevent any type of rusting while they sit in a warehouse that may be damp, etc.

Mark

I don't usually oil the grates before cooking. Most meats don't seem to stick when cooked at "low and slow" temps, but I've never been bothered by the little bit of chicken or ribs that does stick on rare occasions. When I have done it, I used a non-stick cooking spray like Pam.

I've also tried Pam to see if it made cleaning the grates easier, but I'm not convinced it did. You'll have to try and decide for yourself.

Regard,
Chris

Post-cook, I soak my cooking grates in really, really hot water in the laundry sink. Then I scrub them with a vegetable brush to remove remaining debris. Finally, I towel-dry them prior to storage for next cook. No soap involved here, so there's a kind of "seasoning" that remains after all is said and done.

I forgot to spray my grates with Pam and had a lot of debris to clean off...
Decided to try the new Dawn Power Dissolver to see if it melts off the debris as advertised.
Result: Dont waste your money, I would have had a quicker time using the brillo pad and getting it over with. Used 2 applications and still needed brillo to get it clean...

My grates all look bad. I use a weed burner to clean them off and then a brush to knock the burned up crud off. However they cook just fine. I have other things to do rather than make my grate shine.

2 12 pound prime briskets went on this morning at 7:30 am for dinner tonight. Cooking one for a friend. Did a 16 pound chuck roll Saturday with different spice method, turned out wonderful. Going to go through more spices in the future.

Took me 3-4 minutes to clean bottom and top grate earlier this morning with burner. Probably woke up the neighbors with the sound of a jet engine but a little good Q will make it all better. Threw on some new foil over the pan, hit the briquets with the weed burner and we were cookin again!

Greased Lighning guys (and gals) is the product to use. Spray on the grates and soak in really hot water, scrub with brass brush, all cooking debris comes off and grates shine up almost like new. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I'd love to know more about this "weed burner" ... I see you can also use this to start your coals.

Anyone have an image of one of these, or a link to one they have ? interesting thing, never seen one.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back