Tailgating with ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Football season is just a few weeks away and this year I would like to include ribs on the tailgate menu as eats before the game. Question...How should I prepare/cook the ribs so that I get same quality as my ribs on the WSM when I only have 3 hours before the game? We usally get to the game with only a few hours before kickoff as we really can't spend 5 - 6 hours tailgating.

My thoughts are to fully cook the ribs on the WSM the night or day before the game, but do not sauce them. Wrap them in foil and put in fridge until ready to go to game. Throw ribs in the cooler and take to game along with portable gas grill that we use for burgers and dogs. Unwrap ribs, put on the grill, sauce them and cook till meat is hot for serving. Does this work? How do some of you do this?

Also any other suggestions for tailgating with ribs, pork butt or chickens would be greatly appreciated.

S.C. Que

In 12 days we will have our opener, will cook over 20 racks of bbacks. We usually get up real early and get the ribs on and take them cooking in our mobile to the game. With a WSM this method could be kind of interesting. In your case I would cook them the day ahead of time and sauce them at the tailgater, just like you planned.

We do pulled pork and brisket ahead of time. We will put away hopefully 40-50 lbs of pulled pork in the freezer before the first game. You could reheat at home before game and put in cooler. I would put it in aluminum pan, add sauce and then put it on the WSM for additional heat before serving.

Chicken we do at site on grill, only takes 45 minutes or so. Don't forget brats, cookem at tailgater.

Summer almost gone, but here comes football.

No, oh no!

Please - anything but that Jim!

You must know that I am a Clemson man and our first game is against those sorry, no good, cheatin', ugly, nasty, knuckledraggin', cheap-tobacco chewin', Vince Dooley worshipin',lowdown Bulldawgs!

Go Tigers!

Yeah, hopefully we got the good Bowden! (Even though we did lose to you guys a few years ago in a very ugly peach bowl matchup)

GO TIGERS!

I believe you did...but you know that when Poppa Bowden retires, Tommy is gonna bolt for FSU don't you?

I'm really gonna enjoy smokin' ribs, shoulder, brisket, whatever (just as long as I'm smokin')during this football season. Q, brew, football, and fall weather. What else is there? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
----------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!

I'm with Sonny! Rock on Rocky-Top! Will be doing the usual "Razorback Roast" whole hog cook /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back