T & A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Actually, turkey breasts (T) and pork butts (A). I'm cleaning out the freezer in preparation for moving, and I have two of each to cook. I'm thinking I can cook them all at once, but since I would normally cook the turkey breasts at a higher temperature than the butts, can anyone suggest a good compromise temp? Any harm in cooking everything at, say, 275-300 until the turkey breasts are done, then dropping back to a more normal 225-250 to finish the butts?

If it is just the turkey breast I would just cook them separate. THe breasts will be done really quick. You will add maybe 2 hours onto your cook time but the end products will be perfect. (I like the T&A made me laugh)

Larry,

From my experience, I can say that starting a shoulder out at that temp isn't going to give you the same style of Q. I did this by mistake one time and the Q definitely showed the effects of the higher temp (it definitely wasn't as juicy and tender).

Larry,
I do my turkey low and slow at 235* anyways so it wouldn't make a difference to me. I would do them at the same time breast on top. In this case it does not matter that you will have raw poultry juice dripping on your butt because the breast will be done long before the butts are and whatever juices fall on the butts will continue to cook for many many hours after you pull the breasts. However, I would highly recommend you brine the breasts prior to doing them low and slow. The only drawback to doing the breast low and slow is the skin will be very rubbery and un pallatable. I don't eat the skin anyways.

If you prefer to do the breast at a higher temp do them after your pork butts are done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I would do them at the same time breast on top. In this case it does not matter that you will have raw poultry juice dripping on your butt because the breast will be done long before the butts are and whatever juices fall on the butts will continue to cook for many many hours after you pull the breasts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do it that way, i would suggest a drip pan under the breast.

I guess i would smoke the breast low & slow with the butt until its almost done and then put in in the oven or on the grill on high heat to give it a crispy skin.
Best of both worlds that way.

DM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll cook the butts separately, then put the turkey breasts on and open up the vents to cook them a little hotter. In any case, this will give me a much better Saturday than I've had in a couple of months - unless my wife finds something else that needs painting (except for the dog, I think I've painted everything possible already).

Don,
Why would you put a drip pan under the breasts?
icon_confused.gif
The juices from the breast will only help to baste the butts (with what little juices there are). Also, when you pull the breast off they will be fully cooked, as well as the juices on the butt. The butt will then continue to cook for many hours after you pull the breast off. Not disagreeing, just curious?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Don,
Just curious, why would you put a drip pan under the breasts?
icon_confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me Too
icon_confused.gif

Not meaning to speak for Don Marco, but maybe you'd use the drip pan just to err on the side of caution. Yeah, any cooties would probably cook off, but why mess around?

For the record, I did this exact same cook a little while ago, and just put the turkey on the bottom. It finished before the butt, but it wasn't that much effort to get it out and let the butt just keep cookin'.

And for the record, both T&A came out great on my cook, and I'm sure they will for you, too, regardless which rack you use, and whether you use a pan or not!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yeah, any cooties would probably cook off, but why mess around?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Art, If they don't cook off in a an average shoulder cook (2hrs per lb average butt 6-8lbs 12-16hrs) they will never cook off. But if it makes you feel better there is no harm in using a drip pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For the record, I did this exact same cook a little while ago, and just put the turkey on the bottom. It finished before the butt, but it wasn't that much effort to get it out and let the butt just keep cookin'.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What is the difference? Raw/partially cooked poultry juice vs. raw/partially cooked pork juice dripping on your meat? The pork would continue to cook for many more hours to reach the proper temp, vs. the turkey. You are pulling it off as is with the (partially cooked) pork juices on it without additional cooking?
icon_confused.gif
Granted the pork would be "safe" to eat at an internal temp of 160*, so it could be okay.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back