Sysco Lump Charcoal??

Kent Walker

A large Sysco plant nearby has a store that's open to the public. They sell a Sysco-label lump charcoal nearby, $20 for 40 lbs.

I can't find out a think about this on the web (not even the Naked Whiz has anything!).

Anyone know anything about this - who makes it, etc.? Is it any good?

The price is right, so if it's decent I'd like to try it.

I am not sure....but I'd bet it's Nature's Own.

If so, it's pretty good stuff.

No matter what, the price is really good.

I'd buy some regardless.

i'm 99.9% sure its royal oak. i saw a bag somewhere a while back... i just don't remember where.
icon_confused.gif

Yep - you're right. I called Sysco HQ, and they confirmed that Royal Oak makes it for them.

Royal Oak makes charcoal for a number of labels, and I get the sense from the Naked Whiz that they're pretty consistent regardless of label. In other words, it seems like if Royal Oak Makes it, it's good charcoal, even if it is sold under another label.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent Walker:
Yep - you're right. I called Sysco HQ, and they confirmed that Royal Oak makes it for them.

Royal Oak makes charcoal for a number of labels, and I get the sense from the Naked Whiz that they're pretty consistent regardless of label. In other words, it seems like if Royal Oak Makes it, it's good charcoal, even if it is sold under another label. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes they do, but i'd still be careful on which brands you buy. i normally get my royal oak for $10 per 20 lb bag but in a pinch had to get some bge lump (also made by royal oak) from bbq galore and they charged me $20 for a 20 lb bag.
icon_eek.gif

I am going by memory here "which isn't all that good". I was thinking nakedwiz rated the BGE lump a little better than the royal oak. I was thinking it was a bit more consistent on the size or something.

Unless they sell the sysco brand cheaper to restaraunts I will stick with the Royal Oak from GFS. About the same price and a whole lot closer for me.

I have used Sysco lump for years. It is good stuff . I can't get it as cheap as I used to and have started using Royal Oak.

Burch

Brian is correct, Sysco lump is Royal Oak. I have a friend who works for Sysco, and he confirmed it. In Austin, they're selling 20# bags for $13.56.

Paul

For me RO costs roughly 10 bucks at GFS for a 20# bag. Unless having an account with sysco has different pricing than walk ins, I will stick to Royal Oak.

For those who haven't read the naked wiz review of BGE lump. Here is the first few lines of the BGE review.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is some nice lump. It is manufactured by Royal Oak for Big Green Egg. We have heard rumors that Royal Oak saves their best lump for BGE. We haven't reviewed Royal Oak's own brand, but we have used a bag and found it not to be as good as the BGE lump. This bag consisted of mostly usable sized pieces, very few chips and little dust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only difference is they have reviewed Royal Oak since.

i'm paying ~ $10 per 20 lb bag for RO

and fwiw... i think how big of pieces are in the bag has more to do with how it's handled after leaving the factory. the bge lump i just got looked like cowboy. they must have used it as a punching bag or something. while the ro i get from a roofing supply place comes right off the pallet and had very few small pieces or dust.

as ususal ymmv.

Kent, I'm guessing that you or I could pick up RO for less at many retail outlets. My experience with Sysco is they are not the least expensive, but do offer quality, convenience and reliablity for restaurants. That price of $13.56 is based on a regular account.

Back