Switching lids

Al S.

Has anyone tried using the lid from a standard 22.5 Weber kettle on the 22.5 WSM? Just wondered what effect the lower dome height would have on food on the top grate of the WSM, or the overall performance of the WSM.
Thanks,
Al

I don't know if the US models are different from the UK ones, but the lids off the WSM do not fit the Compact kettles or vice versa. It is because the lid on the WSM sits inside the lip of the centre section, where as the kettle lids fit over the lip of the base. The pizza oven accessory does not fit on the WSM in the UK.

Has anyone tried using the lid from a standard 22.5 Weber kettle on the 22.5 WSM? Just wondered what effect the lower dome height would have on food on the top grate of the WSM, or the overall performance of the WSM.
Thanks,
Al

Al,

I have an 18.5 OTS and an 18.5 WSM. I haven't tried it recently, but I have played a little musical lids in the past and I'm pretty sure the kettle lid doesn't sit well on the WSM. Like Darren said, the WSM lid sits inside the lip of the middle section whereas the kettle lid fits to the outside of its bowl. I'm guessing here, but I suspect there is also a difference in the how rounded the bottom edge of each lid is relative to the other.

Bottom line, you may get the kettle lid to sit on WSM, but you probably not as securely as you would like.

Back