Swineapple?

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Saw a FB post for SWINEAPPLE which sounds interesting and the pic looked awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.rees.96/posts/768299923291231:0

Hollowed out pineapple,
Stuffed with boneless county style ribs rubbed with homemade seasoning,
Wrapped in thick sliced bacon,
Sprinkled with a light creole seasoning,
Smoked at 240°F for five hours

Came here looking for validation and/or more info after Google search found little more than LINKS regarding Lynchburg Swineapple Glaze Sauce which sounds good too but is NOT what I am looking for.

Last edited:
Keith, I've been doing a similar variation of this recipe for years...though never thought to call it "swineapple" lol. My version is based off the Hawaiian luau staple, Kalua Pig. I use pork butt instead of country ribs, different seasonings and wrap it all in banana leaves instead of bacon...but the premise is the same. I'm going to try this version out though, with a few tweaks of course. ;)

Hmm, banana leaves. Always a challenge to find. Last time I used them was to make Puerco Pibil (aka Cochinita Pibil) ala Robert Rodriquez.

Note: there is one f-bomb in the Robert Rodriguez YouTube and some (IMHO) great advice about cooking.

Last edited:
Yeah, banana leaves are a pain to find. When I make my crockpot version of Kalua pig, I use fresh spinach leaves. Works pretty well as a substitute. As for this recipe, I do not pre-cook the pork butt...but I also slow smoke it for closer to 6 hrs. Make sure you have a good instant-read digital thermometer too. I would recommend going small at first, then working up to larger cuts.

Do you pre cook the pork?

Sitting here this afternoon, I wanted to get a cook on, but hadn't prepared ahead for a brisket or pork butt. So, I decided I'd try a swineapple. The recipe I have calls for the country-style ribs to be dry-rubbed, then stuffed into the pineapple raw. I'm planning on cooking until I get to an internal temp of 140°. I'm figuring I'll keep the lid thermometer at about 240-250°.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

Back