Sweet Pickled Jalaplenos?

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
On a recent trip to Nora Mill (outside Helen, GA), I sampled some sweet pickled jalapenos. Very tasty - would be great on a hamburger.

Any idea how to make 'em? Most of the pickled jalapenos that I've had (& made) are more vinegary and have an olive green appearance. These were a little crisp and a beautiful shade of forest green with a sweet kick.

BTW, if you're looking for real grits yellow or white, you can get them at Nora Mill (& they ship).

Richard

My guess is that they are not cooked (or cooked for the briefest time), hence the color and the texture. You could try a pickling brine like one might use for pickled eggs (perhaps sweeter than mine) and a similar procedure. Piercing the pepper first here and there, or slicing them, or removing their stems, would allow for better brine penetration.

If cooking briefly, the peppers could be cooked in the brine, say, 30-45 sec if sliced, a little longer if not. Or they could be cooked, also briefly, in water first (about the same timing). You might consider a test of all three approaches--uncooked, brine poured over; cooked briefly in the brine then removed; cooked briefly in water, drained well, jarred with brine poured over.

There's a post over on Ray Basso's board about sweet candied jalapenos (cowboy candy) by Chez John .. If they're the same thing, he always posts great recipes (and pics). Check his blog out sometime, too.

Bill

Richard, Send me an email, it's in my public profile. I'm at work till 3:00PM I'll respond to you when I get home.

Back