Superbowl postgame wrap up – First smoker attempt

All:
Just used my 18" WSM for the first time this weekend, and I'm hoping for a little feedback. I smoked 4 boneless pork butts, total weight about 30 lbs., following the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe/instructions pretty closely. The pork turned out great, but I had some trouble controlling the temperature, so I'm wondering if I did something, or several things, wrong. It was raining and cold all day Saturday in Maryland, but the rains stopped that evening. Still, it was kind of wet and pretty cold (30F or so) at 9:30pm when I started the coals. I used most of a 16lb. bag of Kingsford in the ring, along with 4 chunks of apple wood and some scattered hickory chips. Using the Minion method, I lit 45 pieces in chimney and started the fire. I filed the water pan to within an inch or two of the top with hot tap water. With all vents fully open, I put the meat on at 10:30pm or so. It took roughly 90-120 minutes for the temperature to come up to 250F, and I shut the bottom vents just a touch, maybe 20%, and went to bed at 2:00pm. When I checked again at 6:30am, the temperature had dropped to 175F, not ideal, but not too shocking, I suppose, since it was quite cold and a bit windy overnight. I had placed some wind blocks around the smoker, but I'm not sure how effective they were. The coals had burned down considerably and I figured I had another 6 hours or so to go. So at 7:00am I stirred the coals, plus I fired up another 40 or so in the chimney and added them along with 30 unlit pieces and a few more pieces of apply wood. This is where it got interesting. I got the temperature up to 220 or so, but it took 90-120 minutes to get there, and I wasn't able to get it to my target 250F until 10am or so. I left the vents fully open, and even added more lit charcoal at 9:00am or so. Should I have closed the lower vents? How about the upper vents? Was the water a problem; there was about a quart still in the pan when the meat was done. Perhaps there was too much ash under the charcoal grate, cutting off circulation? It didn't look completely filled down there, but I couldn't get a really good view. To be clear, I wasn't opening the door a lot, just a few times to stir, plus the times I pulled the top section off to put more coals in. I started checking the internal temperature of the meat using a wired probe (Williams-Sonoma) at 10am and was surprised that it had already hit 186F; then it pretty quickly got up to 200F by 11:15am. That's when I started taking it out; I wrapped the meat in heavy duty foil, held it in a cooler, and chopped/pulled it at 6:00pm, right before kickoff. The meat was still very warm, and quite juicy with some good bark. It really was terrific – a big hit. Also interesting was that when I closed all the vents after taking the meat off, the temperature inside the smoker spiked to above 300F for a good while. This led me to wonder if I should have closed off the lower vents, or the top vent, earlier to get the temperature to climb – it seem counter-intuitive to me, but I thought I'd ask. Anyway, all's well that ends well, but I'd like to have a better grasp of controlling the temperature, particularly for really long smoke-times like pork butt and beef brisket. All wit and wisdom welcome, and thanks in advance. I'm a newby, but this looks like a terrific site and community – there's a lot of great information here.

Hi Christopher,
Welcome to the best forum on the 'net!

You have several "newbie" issues.
icon_wink.gif

First, NEVER close the top vent till you're finished with your smoker...repeat NEVER close the top vent till you're finished with your smoker.

I think your main issue was you had a LOT of meat in the smoker. That means you needed a LOT of heat going on.

The best way to get your fire up to speed quickly is to prop the access door open about an inch or two. That increases the draft, and the WSM is all about draft. You can invert the door to make it easier to prop open.

Also, in my opinion, there's no need to add additional wood if your meat is above about 140°. You want a very light, possibly blue, smoke coming from your smoker. That's what gives the meat that great "smoked" taste.

Your subsequent smokes will go much easier when your WSM builds up a nice coating of gunk on the inside. DON'T clean that off!

Last, but not least, and I say this with respect... Adding a line break or two every now and then when posting a long message makes it MUCH easier to read.
icon_smile.gif

Christopher,

Congrats on your first big smoke on the WSM! Cooking four pork butts is quite a task.

I agree with Charles. You had a lot of meat mass in the smoker, plus the water. Moving temps up will take longer because of that.

You might check out "Temperature Conrol Troubleshooting" on this site for some tips. I can be found at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tempcontrol.html.

Cheers,

Scott

Christopher, I agree with my fellow Tennessean - you'll be amazed the difference with temp control from cook #1 (difficult to control) to cook #4 (even a caveman could do it). I read that on here, didn't really understand how it was possible, but yea verily, it came to pass as the prophecy said.

Other people disagree with this, but I find it much easier to get my grill up to the temp I want and then cut back on the vents - bottom only of course.

I have also read that temp variations from 200-275 are not a huge deal - I was really concerned about holding a specific temp for 10 hours, but have now relaxed that stance. I'm new too so that could be totally wrong.

30lbs of pork that turned out great for your first cook - not too shabby.

Bryan,my WSM when it gets to the temp I want I just close down 2 or 3 bottom vents and she'll hold that temp(within a few degrees)for a long time.Seems like she stops on a dime. Others I have read have to kind of slide into that temp by closing some of the vents early then their wanted temp. Each unit is different.Lower cook temp means longer time to reach finish temp. I cook PB anywhere from 250-280. As K.K. says experiment.Good luck with your future cooks.

Much thanks for all the feedback and encouragement; it's starting to make sense to me.
And I promise to use line breaks from now on -- see, I just did it there
icon_wink.gif

Back