Super Basic questions about WSM cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Israel

TVWBB Member
I recently received my Weber smoker and used it for the first time last night.

Sadly, I had not yet found this site and had only the weber manual to follow. I put in a slab of ribs and some pork chops (chops on top, ribs on bottom). At about 2.5 hours, I checked the temp of the chops and they were about 125. At the 4 hour mark, they were only 130! At this point, I took them off the smoker and grilled them. They still had the nice smoky taste. I now know I need a thermometer somehow, but I have a couple of super basic questions:

1. What role do the vents play? (Do I open them to raise the temp or to lower it?)
2. If I add hot water, what is the easiest way to add it? I tried using a tea kettle, but couldn't get much in (I didn't want to leave the hatch open a long time)

Thanks for your patience with a real newbie that wants to learn as much as possible! Thanks!

1. Open vents = more air = hotter burn = higher temperature.

2. A flower watering can works well-- the kind without a sprinkler spout, or some people use a funnel.

Check out the link bar at the top of the page. There is a wealth of information on all aspects of the WSM, and several documented cooks you can use as guidelines.

Yep, what Doug said about this site. Spend some time checking out all of the info built into the site; it's awesome. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Daniel-

First of all, welcome! You have found the best "manual" a WSM owner could hope for. READ EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE!!! I have, and it helped me before I even had a WSM!

Yes, you're right, you should have some sort of therm! The easiest fix is a candy thermometer (Taylor brand is popular), and just stick it through one of the vent holes in the lid. This will give you a temp reading at about 5" or so above the grate. Your actual grate temp will probably be about 10 degrees or so lower. You can also follow Chris' method for drilling a hole for a more permanent therm.

As Doug D stated, use the bottom vents for temp control (more open will be hotter.) Unless you have an out of control temp spike, leave the top vents open at all times.

When I use water, I don't usually have to add any for at least 9 hours, so for a rib cook, you should be ok, however, Doug D nailed it again, watering can is the easiest method I've found. Also, you can try filling your water pan with play sand and cover it with aluminum foil if you like. The sand performs the same heat stabilization function as the water, but won't boil away.

There are lots of tips and such, but a thorough read of this site is a definite must-do. Oh, and, don't be afraid to post just about any question here, there are lots of very experienced WSM cooks who will be happy to help.

Good luck!

Rich G. -- Another NorCal Q'er

For adding water I got a new 2 gallon gas can with a long spout and marked it with a permanent marker (WATER ONLY) No worries mate. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hey people
for adding water try a two liter coke bottle.
it works well for me .a long smoke may require
two refills. so what .no extra stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back