Sunday pork steaks

Jim,
Geir is talking about pork chops, not pork steaks.

Geir,
Pork steaks are sliced pork butt.
And they can take a long slow and low cook.
IMO they are best when made this way.

Pork chops are a whole different matter.

Didn't mean to interject, but wanted to clarify:)

Thanks for the helping hand Bob:) i did not even think he was talking about chops:rolleyes:

Thanks alot for the tip, I've just got to give it a try with the meat I can get.

I've just got hold of some pork chops, "Arctic mountain pig", which looks promesing.
The pigs, two months old, are transported up into the Norwegian mountains, 3000 feet above sea level in the spring, where they live outdoors for the whole summer, living mainly in daylight, the night in Norway is only a few hours long. They live on a diet of fresh juniper twigs, roots and some wheat. Then it's harvesting time in late september.

It might be just a hoax that the altitude, sun, diet and living in the wilderness does much to the taste, but the thought is appealing, I must say.

I have grilled two chops "geirwidarstyle", and the result is very tasty so far. But then, I'm always looking for a way to improve my cooking.. :)
Geir, artic mountain pig sounds GREAT! Tell you what, I'll send you PORK STEAKS and you send me artic pig! ;)

It might be just a hoax that the altitude, sun, diet and living in the wilderness does much to the taste, but the thought is appealing, I must say.

If you've ever eaten jamón ibérico from Spain you'd believe that it does make a difference. Unlike anything I've ever eaten in my life! I dream of going back to Spain just to eat this ham.

I have a friend that raises Berkshire hogs on a free range farm, no scraps, just hay and what they find in their area and I would eat it over any store bought pork any day of the week. You can really taste the difference.

Thank you for the comments.
It can be a bit difficult to understand your different kind of cuts, as Norwegian pigs are a lot smaller, and also cut up in a different way. As an exaple, briskets and flats are nowhere to be seen here in Norway.
I know my way aorund chops, though, where I can basically can get two different kinds, one "regular" cut from the back part of the pig, and on chop called "neck chop". No surprise, it's from the pig neck.. :)

Pork chop:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-psTYwB6l7fI/T5rd9Hb9GjI/AAAAAAAAAcc/6VMxQGDoQoY/s1600/DSC_0002.JPG

Neck chop cut:

http://www.weberklubben.no/admin/public/getimage.aspx?Image=/Files/Billeder/UserUploads/23552/image/Nakkekoteletter%2030_03_2011%204.JPG&Resolution=75&Compression=90&Width=414

As you can see, the neck type is much more marbled. I prefer that one.

I got hold of a small piece of meat from the butt area today, and I'm planning til grill it on the rotisserie this weekend. I promise to post pictures.

Stuart, yes, I'm lucky enough to be familiar with the Jamon Iberico. We can actually buy it here in Norway, but only cured ham. It's not a part of my regular diet, as a piece of bellota is about sixty dollars a pound..

Mr. Lampe, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Geir, No sweat man! Thank you ALL for this GREAT information!!
This neck chop cut...
getimage.aspx

...looks very much like pork steaks.
Geir, get those cut over an inch and i'll betya a buck you'll cook'em longer and love'm more!

Back