Summit

KenRose

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone. A year ago I bought my first charcoal kettle (70th anniversary Hollywood Grey). Loving the challenge and art of cooking with charcoal and I can’t stop looking at the Summit. For this who own it, do you still use your other kettles? Thinking if I should keep or sell my 70th

I have only cooked with my performer kettle once since April 2022 when I got the WSK E6. The performer makes a good side table next to the E6.

20230603_152146.jpg

Hey everyone. A year ago I bought my first charcoal kettle (70th anniversary Hollywood Grey). Loving the challenge and art of cooking with charcoal and I can’t stop looking at the Summit. For this who own it, do you still use your other kettles? Thinking if I should keep or sell my 70th
I think it’s more practical to have only one charcoal grill, although on this enthusiast’s forum I might be in the minority.

That being said, the Summit Charcoal would be the charcoal grill to have.

If you are not opposed to buying used, they pop up on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist from time to time, sometimes very reasonably priced.

I’ve sold all my grills and only own the WSK S6 now. It does everything, exceptionally well.

I’ve sold my WSM and Summit S670 NGasser.

1685832028734.jpeg

Note: the dog is alive. He just likes to play dead.

Unless you don't have the space, I am not sure why everyone is against having more than one charcoal grill. Whether you have a WSK or a kettle having 2 charcoal sources makes it's very easy to to do the majority of cooking outside. For example, if you are smoking or grilling proteins on one grill, the other one can be used to cook appetizers, veggies & side dishes such as baked potatoes. Variety is still the spice of life IMO.

Unless you don't have the space, I am not sure why everyone is against having more than one charcoal grill. Whether you have a WSK or a kettle having 2 charcoal sources makes it's very easy to to do the majority of cooking outside. For example, if you are smoking or grilling proteins on one grill, the other one can be used to cook appetizers, veggies & side dishes such as baked potatoes. Variety is still the spice of life IMO.
I agree.

20220828_163527.jpg

Sold my WSM, Akorn Kamado & Akorn Jr. when I bought the WSK. Haven't needed anything else but the Genesis.

I do have a Smokey Joe & another Akorn Jr. somewhere in the garage in case I go into withdrawal; if not I'll eventually sell those too.

When I got my WSK, I kept my Kettle to do rotisserie — since the WSK has no easily obtainable (and functional) rotisserie attachment as yet.

As it turns out, I'm glad I did that because I have had several instances where the second grill came in handy (smoking meat on the WSK while grilling veggies on the Kettle, for instance.)

if you’ve got the space, and/or need to entertain, extra cookers always come in handy. Like others have said, it can be as simple as smoking on one and grilling on the other.

Last weekend, I smoked ribs on our WSK and grilled a tri tip next to it on our 18” kettle.

I am down to the E6 and Genesis II SX-335. Everything else has been sold or gifted. I do however, have the 22 WSM in the garage. Only used it a few times. Guess I’ll need to sell it at some point.

I have an old Genesis 1000 that has served me well for the last 30 years, and thanks to the tvwbb brain trust I purchased a WSC.

That makes two grills purchased so far, and an unbeatable combination in my opinion.

I have a Summit, a 26" and a Traeger. The 26" is starting to rust and I would like to replace it with another Summit since my big cooks require 2 to 3 units going at the same time. The Summit is unbelievably fuel efficient! My charcoal stash has never lasted this long.

Keep the 70th, get the Kamado. You will not regret having the Kamado, ever, nor are you likely to regret having the kettle.

The Kamado is, simply put, just about the greatest cooker ever made. Is it expensive? Yeah. Is it heavy and not overly portable? Yeah. But the cooking is out of this world. Cold, windy conditions is what really separates it from a kettle for me, which is about 60-70% of the year here. It does everything a kettle does, but better.

The only reason the Summit Charcoal/Kamado cannot claim title as greatest cooker ever, is because the kettle has been around for 70 years and almost everyone has one or has at some point. Longevity and usability makes it head and shoulders above anything.

Keep the 70th, get the Kamado. You will not regret having the Kamado, ever, nor are you likely to regret having the kettle.

The Kamado is, simply put, just about the greatest cooker ever made. Is it expensive? Yeah. Is it heavy and not overly portable? Yeah. But the cooking is out of this world. Cold, windy conditions is what really separates it from a kettle for me, which is about 60-70% of the year here. It does everything a kettle does, but better.

The only reason the Summit Charcoal/Kamado cannot claim title as greatest cooker ever, is because the kettle has been around for 70 years and almost everyone has one or has at some point. Longevity and usability makes it head and shoulders above anything.
I am leaning to your suggestion. I just washed my 70th for the first time and can't stop staring at it! I live in Calgary btw, and we have a pretty harsh winter. I stored the kettle last year and if I buy the Summit I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it out during the winter. I'm surprised to hear that there has been some rust issues on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5932.jpg
    IMG_5932.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 7
I am leaning to your suggestion. I just washed my 70th for the first time and can't stop staring at it! I live in Calgary btw, and we have a pretty harsh winter. I stored the kettle last year and if I buy the Summit I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it out during the winter. I'm surprised to hear that there has been some rust issues on it.
The rust reference is for the 26” kettle. Not the Summit charcoal series.

All of my stuff sits outside, albeit with a cover. I also cook year-round so storing wouldn’t do me any good.

I’m curious about the 26” rust myself.

The WSK E6 is my go-to grill.

I keep a 22" kettle for the rotisserie and the plancha I invested in, pre-WSK.

I sold another 22" kettle and 22" WSM when I got the WSK.

I've kept a UDS which I use very occasionally and I have a Weber Traveler which I bought because it was half price!
I might add a plancha accessory to the Traveler which would be far, far cheaper than investing in a Blackstone :sneaky:.

I have only cooked with my performer kettle once since April 2022 when I got the WSK E6. The performer makes a good side table next to the E6.

View attachment 71830

I believe Dan might be on to something here......
This is how I put my setup exactly.....got the E6 over the S6 to save $1000 by not buying the cart and use my performer ( longer table ) in the exact same spot so the table doubles for both, even when cooking on both it's enough room. Same side side everything.
Below is what I own...the holy trinity????
Performer, E6 sits right beside it and the 18" Joe for travel......or hurricane type weather and it cooks in the garage as the bbq doesn't stop because weather......
The pic is cleanup for spring, before everything moved up to it's home on the deck.

1686052030983.png

Back