Summit Platinum with holes above burners in firebox

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
Can this be fixed or should I run away? Seller sent me a video, here's a screenshot from the video... everything else appears ok, the price is pretty low accordignly. Is this worth the effort?

Screen-Shot-2023-05-22-at-2-17-20-PM.png

Hi Sam, and welcome. That is probably the number 1 problem we see here with the Summit grills. That cookbox is made out of steel and the openings for the burner tubes is where they start to rust out. Can it be fixed? Maybe, the best way to to that is to buy a replacement cookbox for it. The problem there is you may not even be able to do that depending on the exact model of that grill as parts not be available any more. If you knew the model # you could Google it and find out. Your other option would be to make or have made, something that reinforces that area of the cookbox. One of our members here did that on a first generation Summit that doesn't have parts availability on the box. In any case, I wouldn't be very anxious to spend very much money to buy the grill as you are in for either an expensive part replacement or just aggravation. I hope this helps.

Hey Steve, thank you.

The seller will pretty much just give me the grill, but it's a three hour round trip to get it. I was going to pick it up tomorrow.
Could I weld something to it? A piece of sheet steel? I googled, and a replacement cookbox is..... $1k O_O

It's a Summit Platinum B4 (or D4?). Some of the flavor bars also need replacing. I found this replacement for $100 but they appear to have sold out (I could cut the extras I don't need since this is for a D6).

Yes, I think it could be fixed that way. I hope that member Jon Tofte shows how he overcame this problem on his first generation Summit. BTW, I have never seen a replacement cookbox for that much money, the last time I looked I want to say it was more like $400. Can you provide a link for that part, or a screenshot?

Honestly, given the work needed and how expensive everything is for them that's even IF you can find replacement parts. Unless you needed it for another project and there were salvageable parts on it. I would not bother. The fix that member Jon, was able to get for the 1st gen Summit he acquired from me will not work on your gen Summit. And quite honestly I can't believe you found flavo bars for only $100. Anyway fine a Genesis that's in good shape or if you're looking for a high end product look for something better made that is all stainless

Yes, I think it could be fixed that way. I hope that member Jon Tofte shows how he overcame this problem on his first generation Summit. BTW, I have never seen a replacement cookbox for that much money, the last time I looked I want to say it was more like $400. Can you provide a link for that part, or a screenshot?
You can pick up the story from where it says "Good News"

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/cookbox-p-1478424.html

Screw it. Seller's offering it for a song. I'll tear it apart and get it back up to as good condition as I can. I want a side-burner. I can use the rotisserie off my existing grill, and hopefully sell it and recoup all the cash. It'll be a nice upgrade.

If you think you can fix that box, I won't discourage you. I don't think I would pay $1,000 just for a new cookbox either. That's even if you could really get it. I ordered a part from them before that I couldn't find anywhere else only to have them string me along with "still on backorder" emails for months.

Be aware with the cook box having those holes it's technically not safe. Then all you're doing is passing a problem along.

So, that's the grill? You brought it home?
That's it in my backyard, to the left is my old Weber Spirit that I'm upgrading from:

I've signed myself up for some work. I'm going to restore this grill as best I can. I've already reached out to RCPlaneBuyer for replacement flavorizer bars. Tomorrow I'm going to poke around the grill and see what all it needs, and reach out to Weber themselves to see what they can help me with.

At some point this week I'm going to clean and get to work on both of them, then list the old Spirit for sale. It's a very nice grill and has served me very well!

Well at the very least with that stainless frame you can make something out of that. A nice serving cart or what not.

We are here to help you along the way, but there are some issues that make these grills dangerous to invest much money and time into. Good luck and keep us posted.

I fabricated panels for my 05 Summit Platinum D6, it can be done and worthwhile if you have the means.

Attachments

• DA4907A3-5B19-4FB8-9FCB-40CC1B51CB85.jpeg
    DA4907A3-5B19-4FB8-9FCB-40CC1B51CB85.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 10
New thread here:

Back