Summit on Craigs - what’s a fair price?

Willard

TVWBB Fan
This baby is for sale minutes away from me.

by the way, what makes the Summit so special?

C0D1EBD7-9FD5-4B12-8815-D58650289FE4.jpeg

Last edited:
They are great grilling machines, but they have fatal flaws that render them useless due to unavailability of parts. The front panel of the cookbox where the burners enter the cook box tends to corrode and once it starts it progresses quick. Eventually, it will allow excessive heat and even flames back flow out of the cook box creating a dangerous situation. Weber no longer makes the parts to fix it and there is no known aftermarket source.

That grill would have to be in pristine condition to make it worthwhile in my opinion. In addition to what Bruce said, the lids have a liner that rots and could drop metal on your food.

If you are considering a Summit look for a newer model with an infrared rotisserie burner that Weber still supports

Not for the faint of heart, and parts could be an issue. On the other hand, that is a nicer than average one. It has the rear rotisserie burner, the smoke box burner and a side burner to boot! I wouldn’t totally dismiss this one if the inside is as nice as the outside. I know what BPratt is saying about the current model at least having parts availability, but I would run faster from one of those bloated monsters than this one since they both have the same firebox issues. This one is more like our favored classic Genesis on steroids, other than the stupid firebox design.

That grill would have to be in pristine condition to make it worthwhile in my opinion. In addition to what Bruce said, the lids have a liner that rots and could drop metal on your food.

If you are considering a Summit look for a newer model with an infrared rotisserie burner that Weber still supports
Even the newer ones experience box burn through. I destroyed one in 9 years and sold it for parts value, $150. I was the 2nd owner and Weber was happy to sell me $800 in replacement parts to rebuild it. I just bought another one for $1100 and upgraded to the S670 (last year) and now I barely use it because I bought the E6 this year.

Yeah that is a 2nd generation Summit you show there. Decent to great cookers but nightmares for upkeep. The flavorizer bars for that beast will set you back $300 alone. The fire box is no longer available either. AFAIK. So it's yet another "orphan" product.

They are great grilling machines, but they have fatal flaws that render them useless due to unavailability of parts. The front panel of the cookbox where the burners enter the cook box tends to corrode and once it starts it progresses quick. Eventually, it will allow excessive heat and even flames back flow out of the cook box creating a dangerous situation. Weber no longer makes the parts to fix it and there is no known aftermarket source.
Bruce or Jon - have either of you tried making a template for the front panel yet? I know it was mentioned in the past to try and fabricate one.

The front and rear firebox panels would be difficult to reproduce. It looks like a stamped part that has a porcelain enamel coating.

Bill: What about that ceramic coated panel below the new one where the burners come through?

This is still on my list of many things to pursue. My Summit is a 1st generation (the famous LMichaels vs. Weber Summit;) that I bought from him). So, any part for it will likely be different than for a second generation model. Still, the concept (and cost to create) is what counts. While I am going to at least see what a dream solution - replacing both porcelain plated firebox parts with thick stainless - will cost, realistically, the more viable fix is to create stainless plates, pre-drilled with holes, that can be sandwiched over the vulnerable areas where the openings are. I am thinking they could be made to do do 2 burners each. Presumably, you could use 2 sets on a 4-burner like mine and 3 sets on a 6-burner grill.

This will be a good fall project. I will do my best and post what I come up with. I may have to scour a number of sheet metal shops to find someone interested in a project like this. I am also interested to see if producing several sets rather than just enough for my grill would bring the price down. If so, I would solicit others who might be interested. If it all worked out, I might be more tempted by the next 2nd generation Summit I see - preferably a Platinum - and see how that could be done for those as well.

Bill: What about that ceramic coated panel below the new one where the burners come through?
The lower piece was intact.

Attachments

• C7EBEE6C-D47E-48C7-941F-6B8D4BCC78CD.jpeg
    C7EBEE6C-D47E-48C7-941F-6B8D4BCC78CD.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 36
  • 7682ABD8-2B39-48C8-B11C-A303EE79309C.jpeg
    7682ABD8-2B39-48C8-B11C-A303EE79309C.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 36
  • C67533BB-39AC-42F9-B750-2B4158B5700E.jpeg
    C67533BB-39AC-42F9-B750-2B4158B5700E.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 35
I got lucky and got the Summit as a barter for computer parts/services. I did a Serial Number lookup and it indicates it is a Summit Gold D4 LP SS (2005) (USA)

The previous owner said she had it since new and included the Weber cover. It was under a gazebo of a nice Trex deck, which might have prevented it from rusting.

I had to take the lid off to fit it in my truck and noticed NO rust, particularly in the front panel of the cookbox that Bruce mentioned. I would rate it as an 8 (from 1 to 10). I may end up keeping this one to myself, though I'm partial to smaller units given the size of my family.

Cookbox is intact as is the liner on the lid. No corrosion at all. I won’t keep it because I don’t need something that big. I’d like to pass it to someone on this group.

Paging Jon Tofte

Back