Summit Kamado - Talk me into/out of it

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
There’s a 9 month old, rarely used 24” Summit Kamado Grilling Center available.

It was listed at $1500 and already dropped down to $1000 in 2 days; I get the impression they’re trying to offload it asap.

I’d think about offering $800.

My dilemma is…I’ve never used a charcoal grill before. I’ve read so much here about the joys of charcoal, but also recently how die hard charcoal users can’t deny the performance and convenience of gas.
What makes the Kamado command such a high price?

Is there any reason I should part with $800 just to have the “best” of something I don’t really know anything about?
Or should I keep cooking on my gasser, blissfully ignorant of the world of charcoal?

Last edited:
My grills are like my kids. I love them all equally though each excels at something different. But no regrets whatsoever!
And, my grills don’t steal my tablet or need a college fund!
Go for it.

I have a weber genesis that still works really well, but I've done 99% of my outdoor cooks on the WSK because I like that smoke kissed flavor, so If you enjoy smokey bbq food, and don't have something more important to spend your money on, you should go buy it. The Weber Summit Kamado (WSK) can smoke ribs, chicken, but, and brisket like nobodies' business. If you mostly just grill, or roast outdoors, it may not be worth your money.

The WSK is a big step up from a regular kettle because the double wall kamado construction will help you keep up with outdoor cooking thru the cold NY winters, and in general holds temperatures very On the the other hand, if you have other things to spend the money on, you could take Bob's advice and pick up a smokey joe.

There’s a 9 month old, rarely used 24” Summit Kamado Grilling Center available.

It was listed at $1500 and already dropped down to $1000 in 2 days; I get the impression they’re trying to offload it asap.

I’d think about offering $800.

My dilemma is…I’ve never used a charcoal grill before. I’ve read so much here about the joys of charcoal, but also recently how die hard charcoal users can’t deny the performance and convenience of gas.
What makes the Kamado command such a high price?

Is there any reason I should part with $800 just to have the “best” of something I don’t really know anything about?
Or should I keep cooking on my gasser, blissfully ignorant of the world of charcoal?
Go with your gut

Or put your wallet back in your pocket, find an used kettle somewhere, and see if you like cooking outdoors with a coal burner first. Your family may not like the taste that comes from cooking with charcoal.

I paid $1300 for a used S6. Worth every dollar. You’re getting these charcoal grills in one unit. IMO it’s worth every penny. YMMV

Get it. Yes, they are THAT good.

If I could only keep one of my grills, and especially in a shoot-hits-the-fan need to survive scenario, the Summit Charcoal (predecessor to Summit Kamado) would be the one I kept. It does EVERYTHING better than a kettle

All those who started grilling with charcoal with a new or used WSK, say "aye". You might be the first. But just remember, if you hang around the barbershop long enough, sooner or later you're going to think you need a haircut.

Should one only start on the lower end/price/feature grills? By that logic why spend money on a Weber at all when a Walmart special does (mostly) the same thing….?😉 Can apply that to gas, charcoal and pellet

All those who started grilling with charcoal with a new or used WSK, say "aye". You might be the first. But just remember, if you hang around the barbershop long enough, sooner or later you're going to think you need a haircut.
Hahahahaha. See my signature. First coal was a Smokey Joe Tuck N Carry in college. Wings, dogs, burgers. Was livin the high life.

Should one only start on the lower end/price/feature grills? By that logic why spend money on a Weber at all when a Walmart special does (mostly) the same thing….?😉 Can apply that to gas, charcoal and pellet
Agree, it has more to do with the skill level of the chef. Tools don’t make you better, they just give you more options. Ya still have to know how to cook and season.

Personally, I’d go for it and resell it if it doesn’t work out. It’s an incredible cooker. But ya need some basic skills to drive her.

Last edited:
Agree, it has more to do with the skill level of the chef. Tools don’t make you better, they just give you more options. Ya still have to know how to cook and season.

Personally, I’d go for it and resell it if it doesn’t work out. It’s an incredible cooker. But ya need some basic skills to drive her.
For sure. I know I HATED charcoal and couldn’t believe anyone would use that crap back when I used lighting fluid in my Smokey Joe….figured I’m hungry now so big fire and meat right on!🤣🤣

Thankfully I decided to try it again and good ol YouTube was there to rescue me!

Great point Tim, I've never had any other grill except a Weber.

You won’t regret the purchase and might not use the gasser as much once you get used to charcoal. I have an E6 a 26 inch and a Traeger, the E6 is my most used.

Most people start at the bottom and work their way up, but there are a few that start at the top and work their way down.

You won’t regret the purchase and might not use the gasser as much once you get used to charcoal.
That right there is a very good point. Charcoal (and smoke) can be an acquired taste that not everyone appreciates.

Back