Summit Kamado grate height?

Totally hadn't thought about that... So the three ring outer charcoal grate is hard installed to the grate straps? That sounds like something that I should be be able work around. Do you recall if the straps and ring were shipped like that or did you assemble the two? ( I found the assembly manual online and it shows the straps installed in the lower bowl, without the grate attached. Maybe the earlier model is different?)

Thank you for the help. I should have the Summit Charcoal here by tomorrow. Finally agreed on a price and got the green light from my wife.

There is a small Weber shop walking distance from my house that is moving to a new location. They have a Summit Charcoal on the floor since the early model was released. It's got all the original tags and documentation and even has the bubble wrap around the handle. I really didn't have need for the Snap Jet ignition, but I do like the folding diffuser plate. Fully assemble. GBS. Elevated accessory rack. Baskets. Manuals. It's all there and unmolested. Looks like it came out of the box this morning.

$900.

Happy Farther's Day to me! And, Birthday. And, Christmas.....

Last edited:
Straps and 3 ring section came assembled.
I bought another charcoal grate as it was suggested here to me by a fellow member....
I would have to find the thread but it is nice. Never move the bottom grate ever and when grilling comes into play I just drop the second grate against the 3 ring outer ring and good to go. At first I thought the hinged diffuser would be something I wish I had but it 100% isn't needed.
That load of fuel in the bottom will burn forever. I did over 12 hours my first burn and there was still around 3/8 to 1/2 left in the bottom not used.
That was with weber briq's. Burning at about 265 the whole time. The only possibility would be to smoke hotter with one flap open but you could easily just open the bottom vent 1/8 more to achieve that.
Running a brisket in there tomorrow morning starting around 5am, same idea fill it up bury my chunks and use maybe half of it. Hope for 10 to 12 hours on the grill and a couple in the cooler. The father's are going to love it along with 2 dizzy yardbirds, ceaser salad, pickled onions, and roasted taters. Decide not to go with the whole everything is a bbq theme for once.

Straps and 3 ring section came assembled.
I bought another charcoal grate as it was suggested here to me by a fellow member....
I would have to find the thread but it is nice. Never move the bottom grate ever and when grilling comes into play I just drop the second grate against the 3 ring outer ring and good to go. At first I thought the hinged diffuser would be something I wish I had but it 100% isn't needed.
That load of fuel in the bottom will burn forever. I did over 12 hours my first burn and there was still around 3/8 to 1/2 left in the bottom not used.
That was with weber briq's. Burning at about 265 the whole time. The only possibility would be to smoke hotter with one flap open but you could easily just open the bottom vent 1/8 more to achieve that.
Running a brisket in there tomorrow morning starting around 5am, same idea fill it up bury my chunks and use maybe half of it. Hope for 10 to 12 hours on the grill and a couple in the cooler. The father's are going to love it along with 2 dizzy yardbirds, ceaser salad, pickled onions, and roasted taters. Decide not to go with the whole everything is a bbq theme for once.
You put a second grate in the three ring outer grate at the same height? Why? I can see doubling up the charcoal grates to keep small lump coal and partially burned bits from falling through, but not sure what you’re gaining with your serving grate. If you can find a link to that discussion maybe it will make more sense.

The manual I downloaded shows the strap and upper ring as separate items. i am picking up the WSC tomorrow morning so I’ll have a chance to examine it and ponder alternatives.

Not interested in the doors on the diffuser as much as the double wall construction. I understand the E6 is single wall.

Baby Back Maniac did a test of how long a full load of briquettes would burn at a steady LnS temp and came up with something like fifty hours.. I’ll try to find that link.

Good news for me!!

The WSC is here on my deck and going through an initial burn-in. I didn't have to assemble it, so got right to getting it ready for a Father's Day cook.

I scored on this. Got a bunch of Weber cook books, Deluxe gloves, extra grates, the warming grate, and a grill brush (not that I really needed any of these).

The three ring outside section on the Gen I isn't connected to the grate straps so I can remove it easily. The 17.5" charcoal grate (#7441) for the 22.5" kettle is a perfect drop in middle grate, but it is actually a little too low for the SnS Deluxe to fit. It's doable, but not ideal. I had two 7441's and got a new one with the WSC.

Believe it or not, since I won't be keeping my 22 (condition of the negotiations with my wife) I think I am going to cut the SnS and its' water trough by a half inch or so so it fits dead perfect in the WSC. I have a friend who does metal work and am sure he can cut it properly.

Happy that the stainless cooking grate spins easily. I use the cold grate technique and have the Easy Spin in the 22". Glad that is an easy transition.

I do wish I had another set of tool hooks. Not sure if I can source them from Weber and add them to the other side of the WSC.

After studying the WSC for a few hours (truth told, I was drooling more than studying) there are a few options for the SNS Deluxe.
Adding the 7441 Charcoal grate from the 22 kettle is my least favorite. It sits about half an inch too low for the SNS to snug up to the sides of WSC.
i can sit the SNS on the top Charcoal grate tabs and it’s at the right height to place the cooking grate over it. The grate can still spin, if cold grate is your thing. You need to prop up the edge of the SNS on something. I used a brick. Works fine but it’s a bit ghetto and there is no place to put the drippin griddle.
I keep coming back to cutting about a half inch off the top edge of the SNS and reservoir. That would be a great solution albeit, a permanent one. It would still fit in the 22 kettle if I ever add one back into the lineup.

Attachments

• A19729F1-7F43-4343-9599-0FF4408F181F.jpeg
    A19729F1-7F43-4343-9599-0FF4408F181F.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
yeah i used my E6 for some brisket over the weekend and noticed the 3 ring is separate.. that was my bad.
I also have seen that 50 hour video....when I was being swayed into buying it.
The bowl is the same if you buy the E6 or the S6.....double wall, charcoal burns forever.
I don't even fill it up and i can get any cook done.
The 22 performer is still my favorite grill I have....I love that thing, you are crazy for getting rid of it.
I keep switching from the 18" JJ to the performer to the E6...you know to make things harder on myself.....

Yeah…. I put it up for sale knowing I priced it way too high. No Bites yet. My wife hates to lose money and she knows I have extra grate and accessories.. I may just make a gallant, yet feeble attempt at selling and ultimately keep it

There is a company in the Netherlands that sells a rotis specific to the summit charcoal/kamado.. pricey, but it's out there if you want it. I use my gasser for rotis.

Successfully cut just shy of 1/2" off the SNS Deluxe and the water trough. Took about ten minutes using a jig saw and metal blade. Straighten an waves in the edge using a bench top belt sander. Looks like it came this way and fits perfectly under the Summit Charcoal cooking grate, yet still works perfecly in the 22" Kettle. I'm golden!!

There is a company in the Netherlands that sells a rotis specific to the summit charcoal/kamado.. pricey, but it's out there if you want it. I use my gasser for rotis.
Yes there is. I've bought the Spit on Fire rotisserie for my new Summit Kamado E6.
Example: https://weberstore.nl/product/summit-kamado-grill-rotisserie-van-the-spit-on-fire/

You remove the upper grate and place the rotisserie on the kamado. Haven't used it yet (my Kamado is 3 weeks old) but it sure looks great. Can't wait to try it out with picanha/chicken/etc etc ;-)

The Kamado E3 has two charcoal positions. The upper position holds a diffuser plate or the charcoal grate. The outer ring is removable in the upper position. The lower position would give you plenty of space to the grill grate. You can put a water pan on the diffuser plate so you might not need a SNS. Hope this helps.

How did you do it?
It’s really easy, you just flip it over and grind down the back a bit until the lid will close. You start at the rear under the serial number and work your way out about 1/3rd of the way each direction. It’s probably around 3/8“ you remove from very rear then are just tapering out. I used an angle grinder to do the heavy work, then cleaned up with a file.

Attachments

• D6D1E347-809B-4D1C-8E22-B72E050F88F6.jpeg
    D6D1E347-809B-4D1C-8E22-B72E050F88F6.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 26922B23-3931-47E4-8C42-88F5616EFE0B.jpeg
    26922B23-3931-47E4-8C42-88F5616EFE0B.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
It’s really easy, you just flip it over and grind down the back a bit until the lid will close. You start at the rear under the serial number and work your way out about 1/3rd of the way each direction. It’s probably around 3/8“ you remove from very rear then are just tapering out. I used an angle grinder to do the heavy work, then cleaned up with a file.
So it won't fit unless you modify the back lip? Does it not drop into the WSK without the mod? I'm just trying to picture in my mind what the issue is.

The WSCG/WSK is not a Jumbo Joe. Something is different in regards to the angle of the lid, the lid hinge, or the depth of the grate lip (where the rotisserie sits) in comparison. It could even be that the gasket sits on the bowl of the Joe and on the lid of the Weber. I didn’t care to analyze it that deeply because it’s an easy mod and works. The rotisserie fits right in, but the lid will not close on the WSCG until you shorten the height of the rear of the ring.

Back