Summit Kamado E6/S6: charcoal loading for long burn?

I mentioned that this was my first beef rib cook; I've done a lot of pork, but this was my first opportunity to do beef ribs. Turned out to be one of the easier cooks I've done (although a lot of that is due to the E6, which I'm growing to love. All it needs is a good, readily available rotisserie and I'd probably get rid of my kettle entirely.)

Back to the cook...as I also mentioned, this was my first use of the Smoke temperature monitor. I put one probe on the grate, at about 4:00 just outside of the removable center section of the GBS, and the other in the biggest rib. I noticed that the grate probe temps varied significantly as the burn progressed toward it; it started at 228, but as the burn came closer it quickly rose to 278 deg! The lid thermometer barely budged the entire time, and the meat probe showed gradual and fairly predictable rise over the entire cook.

Having the grate probe is probably useful for some things, but for me it provides too much raw data — inviting fiddling with the top vent to keep it "perfect". I'm going to experiment with putting the grate probe in the very center, with the meat arrayed around it, so that it is less affected by the burn pattern. I'll also order another meat probe so I can monitor the largest and smallest pieces at the same time, which I think may be more useful than knowing the grate temp at just one very specific spot.

Haven't tried low and low on my new E6 yet.

Does the burn on the lower grate go in a particular direction? I saw a video where they started at the 10 o'clock edge position.
I assumed it would burn evenly unless you are using an ATC with a fan.

Does minion method work with a few lit coals dumped in the middle, or start anywhere on the edge?
If I set up snake method, typically start at about 3 o clock and it never makes it past 9 on an extended 12-14 hour cook. I’ve not noticed any particular burn direction

I've done it all sorts of ways with similar results. I've used the snapjet ignition for a few minutes, placed a starter cube on top at the 10 position and also lit a small chimney of coals to put on top (minion method). They all produced basically the same results. I usually just use the snapjet now.

I use the charcoal ring from a 18" WSM, fits like it was made for it.
I load it up with charcoal and some smokewood, hit the propane igniter for 4-5 minutes, and adjust the vents to allow it to come up to target temp slowly
I am waiting for mine to be delivered. Did you find that the ring contributed to more consistent charcoal contact throughout the cook? Thanks,

My charcoal ring arrived so I decided to see how long it would go. I filled it up w Kingsford blue, Kingsford cherry and some apple chunks, I attached the Signals/Billows and lit 4-5 coals in the center with a torch. When temp hit 190 I closed lower vent to Smoke and upper to a 1/4, once temp crept passed 225 I plugged the Billows in. I put a rack of ribs on, temps hit around 245-250 then worked back to the set point of 225. Prior to the charcoal ring I seemed to get more temp fluctuations, was it due to not enough charcoal? The point of ignition? It always seemed that I would need to move the coals around during the cook to get the temps to even out. I did a 12 hour pork butt on my old Big Steel Keg around Christmas, the keg stayed at 225 for the entire cook, I shut it down at 16 hrs. I started thinking that the charcoal area in the BSK is smaller and more confined...that's what led me to the WSM ring. I am happy to report that I experienced much more consistent temps for the length of the rib cook. Burn pattern is the same...it always burns closer to the temp control port, then spreads back out. The E6 Summit was still running this morning at 225 at the 24 hr mark, pretty impressive. I now feel more confident with an overnight low n slow on the Summit.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2252.PNG
    IMG_2252.PNG
    106.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 32
It could be that the ring holds the briquettes more tightly together (at least at the start) and gives a more even burn. Plus maybe better airflow around the ring?

24 hours at 225f is impressive and it looks like it could have gone even longer. It is definitely very fuel efficient compared to WSM and Kettle.

I get some fluctuations with lumpwood but that's to be expected. I need to try briquettes as a comparison.

I haven't used my old CyberQ ATC yet. Trying to get a better understanding of how the E6 works before I try it. It's certainly different to my kettle, which I haven't used since the E6 arrived.

Back