Summit Kamado E6 Caster Issue

I received the first box of parts today from Weber. It included the 2 rear legs, the caster inserts, the leg inserts for the bowl ring and all the hardware needed to install. It also included a great instruction book detailing how to disassemble and re-assemble the grill with the new hardware. The replacement caster kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I was able to get everything in the kit installed this evening after work. The two rear legs are clearly marked. When viewed from the rear upside down the right rear leg has a bright red triangle sticker and the left rear leg has a bright yellow star sticker. The front leg has no sticker.

As it turns out, the idiot that built my grill installed the leg with the bright red triangle in the front and the front leg in the right rear. Amazingly when I re-installed the correct legs in the correct positions, the bottom triangle assembly went back on easily like it is supposed to. Attached are photos of the re-assembled mount and the mangled rear leg caster inserts I replaced.
For the record, my 21 year old son built mine as my Father’s Day present. I had to insert the wheels which as stated were tough to do but was doable. Sad that people assembling these at stores cannot follow the very clear and simple Weber docs. Sorry yours was incorrectly assembled but glad you’ll have this dialed in and fixed shortly. Your bottom rack looks correct now.

Last edited:
It's all back together and rock solid now. No trace of tipping when I have the lid all the way open like before and it rolls smoothly. BTW, the idiot that put it together originally is the same guy typing this-lessons learned for sure. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_185253.jpg
    IMG_20220513_185253.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220513_185315.jpg
    IMG_20220513_185315.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220513_185259.jpg
    IMG_20220513_185259.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 10
It's all back together and rock solid now. No trace of tipping when I have the lid all the way open like before and it rolls smoothly. BTW, the idiot that put it together originally is the same guy typing this-lessons learned for sure. :)
RTFM. Jajajajajajja

The only reason I browse the BBQ's in HD and Ace is to get a laugh at how the display models are assembled.

Glad you got it sorted. Love the WSC!

Did an overnight brisket cook on it starting last night and just had the brisket for lunch. My Summit still had noticeable smoke leaks from the back and where the temp. probes exited the grill. However, it held temps rock-solid within a couple degrees all night and throughout the cook and the brisket turned out great. I held the top vent barely open as shown in the photo. With that kind of performance, should I even care about or try to correct the smoke leaks?

Attachments

• Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    148.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1652644803378.jpg
    1652644803378.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220515_095213.jpg
    IMG_20220515_095213.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1652644817007.jpg
    1652644817007.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 15
I had a good friend of mine (smart guy) help me with my WSK assembly and I haven't had any issues at all. I do remember the casters being difficult to assemble - I think we used a block of wood and a small hammer to make sure they were fully seated. I don't recall any difficulty with the the lid but there may be some ability to adjust the lid - maybe the smoke leak near the hinge is because the hinge is just sitting up a bit too high?

Back