Summit IR burner won't stay lit

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
Anyone have this issue before? Brand new burner, thermocouple, and starter. Orifice should arrive soon, but old one doesn't really look terrible. Anyone have any thoughts?

What is odd is once I get it lit and leave it running for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, I can shut it off and it will restart with the ignitor just fine. When cold it just keeps popping for a short while until it evens out. Strange

I think that is how it is designed to work although it is malfunctioning. The thermocouple or whatever needs to heat up before it will allow full flow. Holding the igniter knob down is supposed to bypass this giving the system time to warm up and stay lit on it's own. That is why I say use a stick lighter and keep the stick lighter lit on the burner for the full 20-30 seconds while holding the knob down as well. Then it should stay lit. It worked on the S470 that I rehabbed.

I think that is how it is designed to work although it is malfunctioning. The thermocouple or whatever needs to heat up before it will allow full flow. Holding the igniter knob down is supposed to bypass this giving the system time to warm up and stay lit on it's own. That is why I say use a stick lighter and keep the stick lighter lit on the burner for the full 20-30 seconds while holding the knob down as well. Then it should stay lit. It worked on the S470 that I rehabbed.
Just a bummer that the ignitor itself doesn't really function. Oh well, time to rotisserie a turkey and break it in 😉

Let us know how that goes Eric. I never actually cooked on the S470 that I rehabbed and never did a roto with an IR burner. I do a Thanksgiving Turkey every year on my Genesis Roto and it works very well. But, hear those IR Roto burners are a step above.

Let us know how that goes Eric. I never actually cooked on the S470 that I rehabbed and never did a roto with an IR burner. I do a Thanksgiving Turkey every year on my Genesis Roto and it works very well. But, hear those IR Roto burners are a step above.
I'll definitely let you know! How long does the turkey usually take you to rotis?

Depends on the size of the turkey and heat level you cook at. No experience with the IR either. I would plan on 3 hours at least. You really need to use an instant read thermometer though.

Awesome. If the orifice was anything like a regular burner orifice, then my guess it was just clogged or dirty.
But what a great feeling to have it working the way it is supposed to work.

Awesome. If the orifice was anything like a regular burner orifice, then my guess it was just clogged or dirty.
But what a great feeling to have it working the way it is supposed to work.
It's strange, could see through it easily and the hole doesn't appear different size from the new one. I'm wondering if the corrosion was making the gas flow differently? Whatever it was, it's fixed now and that feels good!

Back