Summit E6: adding gas ignition?

NickMV

TVWBB Fan
I'm considering consolidating a WSM22 and a Kettle-22 down to just a Summit, and I see with the new Summit product refresh that the E6 model doesn't have the gas ignition. Is this something that can be added on at a later date?

Thanks!

I'm considering consolidating a WSM22 and a Kettle-22 down to just a Summit, and I see with the new Summit product refresh that the E6 model doesn't have the gas ignition. Is this something that can be added on at a later date?

Thanks!
From a Weber standpoint, no, the gas ignition can't be added at a later date. To do so, you'd have to modify the bowl to install the burner and the hardware that holds it to the bowl, and there'd be no where to attach the valve/regulator and control knob. You'd also void the warranty on the unit by making modifications to it. I'm sure if you're crafty enough, you could rig it all up somehow, but I'd advise against it. #IworkforWeber

Buy a GrillBlazer Grill Gun or some other kinda torch instead. I've already had to replace the regulator on my WSCG and probably ran 1-2 1lb tanks through it before it failed. Now I pretty much never use it and either just use a chimney with a tumbleweed or the Grill Gun instead.

Buy a GrillBlazer Grill Gun or some other kinda torch instead. I've already had to replace the regulator on my WSCG and probably ran 1-2 1lb tanks through it before it failed. Now I pretty much never use it and either just use a chimney with a tumbleweed or the Grill Gun instead.
You know, I kinda wondered how well something like that could hold up to constant ash exposure. I also have been debating getting a weedburner or similar torch.

I have an S6 and don't even use the gas ignition any more. I wish they would have removed it like the E6 and just further reduced the cost more. I found it more a novelty to start, but have since gone back to using my MAPP torch. Over the years, I've tried starter cubes, home made alcohol balls, tumbleweed lighters etc, and I always return to the MAPP torch. That said, I also use lump charcoal (not briquettes) so lighting I find much easier. If I used briquettes (I did for a while but returned to lump), I would probably also be using the ignitor as I find them more difficult to light.

I actually had the opposite experience as you did GrantT. I was trying different starters (tumbleweeds, chimney, combination, etc.) but I've started to like the gas ignition on the E6 Grilling Center. I do think the gas ignition works better/quicker on the lower fuel grate. I've been able to just load the CBs, turn on the gas ignitor and get HOT coals within 10-15 minutes depending on which fuel grate level I use. With the bottom vent wide open and top vent hinged open fully, the charcoal heats up fast after just a little fire to it. I just bought the 20 lb tank conversion hose off of Amazon and hooked it up this week and it works well. I've been using JD lump XL and it seems to light very easily. I'd probably still use the chimney for a minion start on a long smoke but I may give the ignitor a shot at this type of cook next time as well.

I have the gas assist on my performer and like it, but it does deform the charcoal grate quite a bit, and I try to only use the gas for ~5 minutes. Starter cubes go for about 10 minutes and newspaper also works fine. I think if I was going to get a Summit, I might skip the gas assist. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I use the gas assist on my Summit ALL THE TIME! Love it and never had a hiccup.

i guess i'm a luddite. i use leftover bacon grease or any fat on soiled paper towels or junk mail, placed either under a chimney or into the CBs (one in each corner), light it with my butane lighter, fully open the bottom vent and let er rip if using the chimney, or close the lid and pop open the rapid heat vent on top and have a full set of hot JD in 10 mins. same goes for briqs, 10 mins for fully involved heat source. i can get cooking on the WSC is 15 mins from coal lighting but it takes me longer to get my proteins and veggies ready so i'm usually cooking in 20 mins from when i first light the coals.

the WSC is ridiculously easy to use and cook with. to me, the fewer parts that need service or care is what's desired. i don't want to be beholden to storing junk in my garage to keep my grill working. with age and experience, less is more and it's THE reason i went back to true coal from cooking on a gasser since 1994, sans the WSM added in in 2018 which then led me to the WSC.

nothing against any of you guys using or wanting the gas assist. the WSC not having the gas assist is why i was excited to buy it; cost less and no additional parts to service, support or repair down the road.

I use the gas start on my WSC exclusively. I'm sure other methods work well or even better for some folks, but I have embraced the propane start and would miss it if it wasn't there.
Same goes for my Performer. I use a vortex in it and the propane start works good to get it going. Makes my life easier. It would suck without it. YMMV

Candidly, I don't find the SnapJet ignition on my GenOne WSC all that useful. When the charcoal grate is in the upper grilling position the gas flame is too far away from the coals to efficiently ignite. I do use it when the charcoal grate is in the lower position.

I never use the gas assist on my Summit Kamado… becasue I don’t have one. :D
In all seriousness I find my JJ George torch works wonderfully.

Back