Summit Charcoal Used Talk me out of it........

Ryan Dethrow

HI All-

Been a while since I was last here and i have stumbled into a used summit charcoal grill for what I feel is a fair price. It’s in good shape and being able to do low and slow and high heat is really what I am after. Well versed in the WSM as I have 2 of them but the process is a bit cumbersome, clean up and storing and such is an issue. I have read the summit is not quite as dependable as the WSM for long over night cooks. My intent was to sell both WSM’s and my new -ish performer to help off set the cost of the Summit. For those of you who have a Summit what are your thoughts? Will I be disappointed?

I love my WSCG. I’ve never had a WSM though. What have you heard about it not being reliable for overnight cooks? I’ve run 16 hours on mine without refueling before. There’s also a fan port that is not well advertised, so you can hook up an ATC and sleep all night. The only downside for me is it always seems to be windy here, so sometimes when I’d like to light a chimney of charcoal to griil hot with the charcoal grate up it’s not safe or easy to do. In Kamado mode I light in the grill so easier.

HI All-

Been a while since I was last here and i have stumbled into a used summit charcoal grill for what I feel is a fair price. It’s in good shape and being able to do low and slow and high heat is really what I am after. Well versed in the WSM as I have 2 of them but the process is a bit cumbersome, clean up and storing and such is an issue. I have read the summit is not quite as dependable as the WSM for long over night cooks. My intent was to sell both WSM’s and my new -ish performer to help off set the cost of the Summit. For those of you who have a Summit what are your thoughts? Will I be disappointed?
Buy it and don’t look back. I bought mine last March and honestly I wish I would have done this sooner. Excellent cooker for both low and slow and high heat. I have had mine just above 700° no problem. Longest cook has been 13 hours with coals to spare.

this grill is a beast and so well built. The charcoal grate alone should last well over 10K cooks. Since owning this grill I have only cooked on another grill twice. My 26” mini ranch that was my daily cooker. Since this grill I have off loaded two performers and the 18” WSM. Likely the 22” will be next since like you stated the process cumbersome.

seriously if you have the opportunity to get one do it you won’t regret it ;)

I love my WSCG. I’ve never had a WSM though. What have you heard about it not being reliable for overnight cooks? I’ve run 16 hours on mine without refueling before. There’s also a fan port that is not well advertised, so you can hook up an ATC and sleep all night. The only downside for me is it always seems to be windy here, so sometimes when I’d like to light a chimney of charcoal to griil hot with the charcoal grate up it’s not safe or easy to do. In Kamado mode I light in the grill so easier.
I run Guru’s on both my WSMs and honestly they are rock solid and dependable and its good to hear that the summit units have a port. Like you, wind is an issue here and that’s one of the main reasons I would go with an insulated cooker. To answer your question I have a few things indicating that when used for low temp, long cooks the WSM is a more stable platform but its subjective right? In looking to consolidate my patio this seems to be the ticket.

We looked at the Summit for years and when the price for a floor model was under 900. We became owners. Great grill smoker. Using little fuel. I would say buy it.

I run Guru’s on both my WSMs and honestly they are rock solid and dependable and its good to hear that the summit units have a port. Like you, wind is an issue here and that’s one of the main reasons I would go with an insulated cooker. To answer your question I have a few things indicating that when used for low temp, long cooks the WSM is a more stable platform but its subjective right? In looking to consolidate my patio this seems to be the ticket.
I don't believe at a;ll a little single walled $200-400 cooker is really better than a $1500 double walled steel kamado.

I really don't mean that to sound arrogant, but there'd be no market for the WSCG or WSCGC if the Smokey Mountain was really that much superior.

Secured a deposit on it, now to go get it! With my work schedule next week I should have it home by Thursday. Now to think about what to do with all the other equipment? Thinking I will hang on to one of the WSM’s possibly (you never know) and unload my 2 year old performer. I really hope that the new addition is as quick and simple as the performer. Any ideas on pricing for the performer and WSM? IT seems to be all over the place for booth. Thinking of asking 200 for the performer and 150-200 for the smoker and new grates?

Secured a deposit on it, now to go get it! With my work schedule next week I should have it home by Thursday. Now to think about what to do with all the other equipment? Thinking I will hang on to one of the WSM’s possibly (you never know) and unload my 2 year old performer. I really hope that the new addition is as quick and simple as the performer. Any ideas on pricing for the performer and WSM? IT seems to be all over the place for booth. Thinking of asking 200 for the performer and 150-200 for the smoker and new grates?
Does your Performer have the Propane Gas Assist and Metal Table?

Yes. Its the current version in green.
Just like my Green Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) which I bought new here in Costa Rica for $550 in January, 2020. Depending where you live I will guess sell-it for around $250. My WPD is one-great grill but if I could afford the cost and the blessing of my "Better-Half" I would not hesitate to sell-it and buy that WSCG with that Stainless Steel Table.

However, my only question are your dollars better spent on the changing BBQ Present and Future Demand for the Weber and other Brand-Name Pellet Grills?

Last edited:
I think you could get 200-250 for the performer. On the high end you may have to wait a bit but 250 for the metal table version is not too high IMO. For the WSM depends on the size. Around here I see the 18 between 150 and 200. The 22 200-300.

when I bought my quite a few years ago I bought the 18 for 150 and the 22 for 250. Both 100 percent stock.

Last edited:

If you clean up the Performer, really well you can get $300 for it if you wait for the weather to warm up. The green color might even get you $325 especially if it's really clean.

I got $325 for a Copper one.

I had a 18 WSM and currently have the Summit Charcoal. The Summit holds the temp a billion times better than my WSM did (not that it was terrible). I find myself always going to check the Summit temp since I had to on the WSM but I really never need to adjust the Summit. It definitely took a little learning to figure out where to set the vents but now that I am better at it, I hardly need to adjust. I live in Northeast Ohio and it gets very windy and cold and I have no problems. It holds all night. Go get it.

To date, my WSCG is the last grill I'll part with. I love pellet grills for the convenience, but when I want the something extra special, I go to the WSCG. Where did I trust a SRF Gold Wagyu, the WSCG of course. I love pellet grills because I'm lazy, but if I want guaranteed results high or low, I go WSCG without thinking twice about it...and I've got a MAK incoming, but I'd still choose the WSCG for a SRF wagyu brisket (at least until this new beast proves me otherwise).

Back