Summit 650 NG Restoration Project

Jim - NE

Evening. I picked up a Summit from Craigslist last weekend. It was $200, but by Saturday morning it was free to just get it out of there. The person I got it from told me a few of the burners do not work so I took it to a local outdoor patio place and they said it was in good shape and I should just clean it up. I noticed bolts to the firebox were rusted out all over so I wanted to try to get it cleaned up and back to working order if possible.

I called Weber to see if there was any documentation on it and to try to figure out what the model number is. From the picture I shared with them they said it was a Summit 650 NG – pre2000 model number 271102. After reading on this site for about a week and tinkering around with it for a few evenings, I've now torn down the grill(as far as I'd like to).

Here is the current situation on various areas from what I've found.

Pros: Stainless steel seams good and probably could just use some good cleaning and it'd be good. Grates are in great shape. It comes with the smoker box and it looks good as well. Burner brackets and burner brackets are in good shape.

Cons: Burners and igniters needed to be replaced. I started to take apart the burner manifolds to clean the valves. I was able to get three of the six loose and cleaned up. The other three I was able to put PB blaster in them and used a heat gun to try to free them. I was able to get the stems to move up and down and then turn, but was not able to get the small bolts freed to get them completely out and cleaned.

All the bolts that hold the firebox are shot and need replaced. This includes the ones that hold the flavorizor bar brackets and the burner support bars. The lower back firebox panel is rusted out on the left side in the corner. Also, after I removed all of the stainless panels I noticed the rust on the top support bars to the grill frame.

So, before I pulled it all apart today, I was thinking a simple clean where possible, replace the burners and igniters and maybe sand and spray here and there and get it running to see if it was worth tearing it down in the fall and completely restore it. Now that I have it torn down (as far as I think I'd like to go) I am looking for recommendations. I've seen posts say to various projects, don't put any money into it because it's to far gone, and then other say, it's a good candidate.

I have limited skills to be able to grind surface rust here and there but I'm not a welder nor a good painter. I'm sure I could track someone down if it makes sense to restore the grill.

My plan was to use the grill as the family daily grill. I like the idea of the six burners for larger cooking area but if it's not worth savings I'd like to hear.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CL Pic.jpg
    CL Pic.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4970.JPG
    DSC_4970.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4979.JPG
    DSC_4979.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4984.JPG
    DSC_4984.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_4987.JPG
    DSC_4987.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4992.JPG
    DSC_4992.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4993.JPG
    DSC_4993.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4994.JPG
    DSC_4994.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_5009.JPG
    DSC_5009.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_5010.JPG
    DSC_5010.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 36
Look up everything about that generation Summit I have posted. I have owned it's little brother since new. Absolutely no support from Weber even during warranty. Unless you can get someone to make the front and in your case rear fire box pieces from stainless you're going down a heartbreaking rabbit hole.

This is the reason I am looking to buy a welder. I want to be able to fix stuff like that. It doesn't look too much is damaged. Check out this video. Granted it is a car but so....

Jim,
I can't argue with anything Larry, Branden or Bruce said. Nonetheless, I have a soft spot in my heart for those first generation Summits. If you are willing to spend more than it is technically worth and are able to fabricate or source people who can fabricate for you, I think you will have one very awesome - albeit overpriced - grill that is not like everybody else's Weber. Be prepared for a lot of work and some definite money to be spent.

Keep us posted!

This is the reason I am looking to buy a welder. I want to be able to fix stuff like that. It doesn't look too much is damaged. Check out this video. Granted it is a car but so....
Yep, I bought a welder a couple years ago and have used it on a couple grills so far. Along with other stuff.

It is a Lincoln Weld Pak 3200HD. It is similar to the basic 140 welders that run on 120V. They normally cost about $400 but I got it used for $150 with a 3M speedglass hood.

I also welded up a lawn mower wheel and my camper steps. A couple other things I can't recall.

I know I had a couple pictures of a grill cross member that I welded in, but I can't find them now.

I'm going to butt in and then butt out here, but I have used Miller and Lincoln welding equipment as part of my employment and I have a Lincoln Pro-MiG 175 in the garage...but the best welders I have ever used are the Hobart Handler (120V-240V) and the 240V Hobart IronMan. The Handler they had to keep locked up in a cage at work because it would get stolen otherwise. Flux core with the Handler was amazing. Ok, I'm out now,

Back