Summit 420 restoration progress

I like it, here's a manifold with a coat of it after I grinded and sanded the rust off. I just feel like it will extend the life of this expensive and important part.IMG_20230810_204630918.jpg

Generally, the manifolds will work just fine for a very long time. Rust usually doesnt affect them unless it is where they attach to the cook box. I have had to weld in additional metal to the mounts on a couple of my rehabs. But otherwise, I don't get too worried about some surface rust. They are generally not visible and present an eye sore. Kind of like the underside of my pickup truck.

Cleaned and removed the rust from all of the painted parts today. Plan to paint next then clean all of the stainless parts with a pressure washer.

I made a paint booth from the cookbox box. This is starting the rust reformer coat. I wanted to be sure an get an extra layer anywhere I removed rust. I did not a lot if the rust was under the factory finish and had traveled.

Attachments

• IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 14
Here is the mostly end result. I still have some tweaking and need to find some magnets for the doors, but I'd say its 95% of the way there. Did the burn off today and it had no problems getting up to 600 degrees and seems to be heating very evenly. It was a bigger pain than I anticipated, but if it lasts at least a few years I think it was a worthwhile project. Thanks to the is forum and members and a special thanks to Fred Smith who hooked me up with quite a few parts!

Attachments

• IMG_5511.JPG
    IMG_5511.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5514.JPG
    IMG_5514.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5509.JPG
    IMG_5509.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 21
Here is the mostly end result. I still have some tweaking and need to find some magnets for the doors, but I'd say its 95% of the way there. Did the burn off today and it had no problems getting up to 600 degrees and seems to be heating very evenly. It was a bigger pain than I anticipated, but if it lasts at least a few years I think it was a worthwhile project. Thanks to the is forum and members and a special thanks to Fred Smith who hooked me up with quite a few parts!
Your welcome! Wish you would have known about the magnets sooner as I have two new ones. 😢. Check your list again as you enjoy the the new to you grill and let me know if anything else is needed. BTW that Black and Grey look is really nice!!!!! 💯✅

Your welcome! Wish you would have known about the magnets sooner as I have two new ones. 😢. Check your list again as you enjoy the the new to you grill and let me know if anything else is needed. BTW that Black and Grey look is really nice!!!!! 💯✅
Thanks Fred!!!

Thats one sexy grill! I wish I could justify such a big grill for myself - but I can't. Use the hell out of it!

Looks great! I'm jealous yours gets up to 600, mine seems like 500-550 is about it. New cookbox and Weber burners. Odd

Back