Summit 2013 restoration project

MacM

Hello, new member and new gas grill user looking for some advice on restoring a 2013 Summit E-470.

I recently had found a free 2004 Genesis Silver A and restored that, before/after below:
PXL_20220425_175640432.jpgPXL_20220502_232833356.jpg

Almost immediately after finishing that, my online alerts were still active and I ended up snagging a Summit E-470. From the SN, its a 2013. Between reading posts here and just looking at the thing, this obviously won't be as straight forward of a project. The only parts that clearly needs replacing are the flavorizer bar brackets, so those should be arriving soon. Gonna swap out as much hardware for stainless steel as I can, especially anything that is inside the firebox area. The firebox itself looks ok to me, I took the front panel and manifold off to get a look at the area where the burners go through, and I didn't see any obvious rusting or pitting. So hopefully I've managed to avoid that particular problem that seems common with this version of the Summit. I've got a few questions, and would love any advice or feedback on my plan.

WeberSummit_Before.jpg

I've gotten the stainless steel cleaned up pretty well just with soap and water and Barkeepers friend. It already had quite a bit of surface scratching from previous owner's cleaning, so I didn't stress too much about avoiding more light scratching, just want it to look clean.

I'd like to repaint the cast aluminum parts. I've removed the end pieces of the side tables and control panel. The bottom part of the firebox looks rather complicated to remove from the frame, so I'm leaning towards removing the side tables and lid, taping up and painting in place. The lid I've removed, but it seems like the side panels of the shroud don't want to come off, so again thinking I'll tape and paint while still assembled. I've already cleaned off asmuch of the baked on grease as I can, the sides of the cookbox are the only places that still look pretty gnarly. My plan for paint prep is to use a drill with a wire brush to scuff it up and remove whatever else I can, final degrease with brake cleaner, and then several coats of spray paint.

Is there a good match anywhere of the original grey? Also strongly considering just painting all of it black, as I like the look, it'll hide some grease or scorch marks that accrue, and I've already got half a can left from the last project.

I haven't fired it up yet, but most of the burners look fine. The exception is the center sear burner which is pretty rusty. The tube and holes itself are actually ok, but the brackets that attach to it are almost all rust, though no holes or disintegrating. Should I wait it out or just replace?

Anything I can do to fix up the door handles? The finish is peeling off and is sharp. Would prefer to avoid buying replacements, but the handles don't really look like there is much that can be done to salvage once they start going.

Is there a good way to clean or repair the Weber logo plate? This one is peeling a bit.

Interior of the cabinet and the entire frame and panels all look to be in decent condition, so I'm just gonna clean it all up. May spray some sort of protective coating on the bottom of the interior.

Looks like a nice grill. If the rotisserie and infrared burner work that’s a bonus.

For the firebox I would leave it assembled and paint the outside with black high heat. I haven’t heard of a good gray high heat matching paint.

The frames parts can be painted with Massey Ferguson gray that matches good.

If you have the grill open replace any questionable burners.

The door handles can be repainted with metallic chrome paint once you peel away the loose stuff.

The logo is common to many models in that time period. You could replace it after you get the grill working since it’s cosmetic only.

Please post pictures if you can as your work progresses.

Thank you

If that gray is the same as on the Genesis E3xx grills, then you would want Rustoleum Massey Furgeson gray. The problem is that it does not come in High Heat. Probably your best bet for the lid end caps is just going black if you have to paint them.

Anyone know a source for the rivet-like screws that secure the edge banding to both the lid and the top part of the fire box? I can't find a part number or anything that looks right on any of the grill part supply places. Weber CS doesn't sell them separately, I'd have to buy a whole new lid.

Couldn't find anything exactly like it at the hardware store or big box. Have something enroute that might work from Amazon, but won't have the wide head. I think its a 5/8" long sheet metal screw with a button head. 1/4" thread with 1/2" diameter head. The original ones have a star drive head, but I'd be fine with a phillips or hex drive.

The ones on the lid are all fine, but the some of the ones on the firebox were rusted, stripped and difficult to remove. I'd like to replace them rather than reuse and risk not being able to remove at all the next time I need to paint (hopefully not anytime soon).

Last edited:

These from Amazon will work. They don't look quite the same so glad they're only going on the inside that is mostly hidden. 1/2" may have been better than 5/8", the last few turns were really tough. I think the original slot and screws were slightly tapered and these are straight. They're in now, and I doubt I'll ever remove them so hoping the paint job lasts!

WeberSummitAfter1.jpgWeberSummitAfter2.jpg

Just about done. Still need to clean the inside, I'm not 100% sure the infrared burner is working or not, and the flavorizer bar brackets are backordered so I butchered the existing ones with a grinder to get to functional until the replacements ship.

Pretty happy overall. Had a hard time with the knobs, they're not very clean. They also don't work super smooth, kind of tricky to get them back off after they've turned on.

Last edited:
My father has one like that that needs to be refinished. Cookbox is rusted, but the rest isn’t bad. It’s registered with Weber so wish me luck.

Good luck!

Weber CS was good for me. I used their text feature and it was really easy, would take pictures and send to the rep via text. If your cookbox is rusted you can probably get them to send you a whole new one.

Not sure what you posted all I see is 2 large markers with a big - sign in them. If posting photos try doing it as attached files

I was digging around in the older Weber brochures / catalogs Chris A. had uploaded and the 2010 brochure is Northline Express branded as they appeared to have been a Weber dealer at one time. Curious as I am, I checked out their website yesterday and found they carry high temperature paints in a number of different shades of each color. Perhaps this may be a good paint source for restoration projects (if the colors they carry come close to Weber’s colors)? Northline Express

They carry the Stovebright line of high temp paints. That is some good stuff but it is expensive. I have used it and had issues with the spray nozzles clogging up.

Back