Suggestions for smoked chicken legs

Warwick B (Waz)

TVWBB Member
I'm going to throw some chicken legs on with the brisket I'm doing this weekend. How long should I smoke them for? They're good sized legs from Costco. Does anyone have suggestions for smoking the legs? Also there's a wing recipe in the standard cooking tips section that calls for deep frying the wings after the smoking is done... could I do this for the legs too?

Thanks,
Waz

warwick, if u are cooking the brisket high heat the chicken legs will be awesome, if u are cooking the brisket low and slow the legs will dry out, chicken needs to be cooked around 325-350

pack them in a covered aluminum pan, skin side down with a little butter for 60 min. Smoke them for another 60 min. The last 15 min dredge them in a mixture of bbq sauce and what ever juice accumulated in the pan.

Thanks J. Just to be clear the first 60 mins in the covered alu pan is in the smoker at smoking temps right? Not in the oven? And do you do the first 60 mins covered so that they don't get too much smoke?

Thanks J. Just to be clear the first 60 mins in the covered alu pan is in the smoker at smoking temps right? Not in the oven? And do you do the first 60 mins covered so that they don't get too much smoke?

300* preferred.

I braise first to tenderize the meat and skin. I feel legs require a little breakdown. When they are cooked just to temp, they are a tad tough for my liking.

Or you can cook at your preffered temp and when they hit 160 remove the middle section and place the grate on the cc ring and sear to your desired skin texture which will bring the internal temp to 170ish.

This is my normal way of poultry on the WSM!

Good luck.

Originally posted by Glenn W:
Or you can cook at your preffered temp and when they hit 160 remove the middle section and place the grate on the cc ring and sear to your desired skin texture which will bring the internal temp to 170ish.

This is my normal way of poultry on the WSM!

Good luck.

True. Well I was thinking of following the wings recipe and deep frying them for a little to crisp them up. That should bring the temp up and finish them off too.

Back