Suggestions for Hawaiian Luau sauce and rub?

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
Hello everyone, I've been asked to provide some additional pork meat for a Luau themed picnic for this Sunday. There will be a 60 lb whole pig so what I bring will be supplemental meat. I have 4 Costco shoulders sitting in the frig now.

Would appreciate any help on thoughts of injection (maybe pineapple juice), rub, and sauce.

It doesn't have to be authentic just not contrast with the theme.

John

Aloha John,

How is the whole hog being prepared, kalua, huli-huli, Chinese or bbq? What other food items are on the menu? Let me know and I might be able to help.
I am doing a whole hog, 125 lb this coming Saturday, huli-huli style on a rotisserie.

joe

The pig is Chinese BBQ but being presented in Luau style with huli huli sauce on the side

I want to prepare the shoulders in a way that compliments the event.

John

Do NOT Inject pineapple juice. It will make it into mush.

I would do what you normally do. Maybe fix up some mango salsa to have on the side.

Sorry John can't help you there. The Chinese style has unique seasonings and method of roasting that is difficult and nearly impossible to duplicate at home. Perhaps the Chinese roaster can sell you some additional roasted pork.

Cutting the pork into 1" thick "steaks" and grilling with some Chinese style marinade available in Asian markets would be best. This would be the closest supplement you can have for the roast hog. Stay away from the mango salsa. The "huli-huli sauce would work better for the pork.

Do the shoulders Kalua style. Light on the smoke, rub with some hawaiian salt and other flavors as you want, wrap in Ti leaves and wet burlap.

Hawaiian salt is a key part of the kalua taste. I've tried other sea salts and it just isn't the same.

Edit - Many recipes call for liquid smoke but ... well .... you know. NO WAY!

I've done it most often in a big roaster (without the burlap), but I've used the smoker twice. Kalua is nearly a steaming process with hot rocks rather than a real charoal bbq process.

Lots of other kalua recipes and tips on the net.

Joe... I'm not expected to duplicate the pig flavors. Forget the pig for a moment and I just want to get some Hawaiian flavored pork shoulders.

Clay. thanks sounds like using a rub of hawaiian salt if I can get some or sea salt as an alternative.

For the steamed part, wraping it after getting to 160 or so after basting with huli huli.

Basting again with huli huli when it's pulled.

John

Back