Suggestions for gravy for a fried turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musky-Hunter

TVWBB Member
Frying a turkey for the first time and need some suggestions for gravy. The only way I know to make gravy is from drippings I won't have.

Thanks.

You can make a gravy from the turkey giblets. Here's one from the Nov/Dec issue of Cook's Illustrated:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Turkey giblets and neck cut into 2" pieces

<LI>1 medium carrot, cut into 1" pieces

<LI>1 celery rib, cut into 1" pieces

<LI>2 small onions, chopped coarse

<LI>6 garlic cloves, unpeeled

<LI>3-1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth (two 14-1/2 ounce cans)

<LI>2 cups dry white wine

<LI>6 sprigs fresh thyme

<LI>1/4 cup all-purpose flour

<LI>salt & ground black pepper
[/list]

Heat oven to 450*F. Place turkey trimmings, carrot, celery, onions and garlic into a roasting pan. Spray lightly with Pam and toss to combine. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, for 40-50 minutes.

Remove from oven, place on stove burner at high heat; add chicken stock and bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from the bottom of pan with a wooden spoon.

Transfer contents to a large saucepan. Add wine, 3 cups water, and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced by half, about 1-1/2 hours. Strain stock into large measuring cup or container. Cool to room temp, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fat congeals, at least 1 hour.

To finish gravy, skim fat and reserve the fat. Pour stock through fine-mesh strainer to remove remaining bits of fat; discard bits in strainer. Bring stock to simmer in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. In a second saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons reserved turkey fat over medium-high heat until bubbling; whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until combined and honey-colored, about 2 minutes. Continue to whisk constantly, gradually adding hot stock; bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper and serve.

May be refrigerated up to 3 days; reheat in saucepan over medium heat until hot, about 8 minutes.

You can probably find a ton of other giblet gravy recipes on the Internet using a search engine.

Regards,
Chris

I have done a ton of 'Net research on frying turkeys in the last 2 months and nowhere does anyone mention any sort of gravy to serve with it!!!Maybe it is supposed to be so juicy it doesn't need gravy. Emeril Lagasse has a turkey section at his web site that has a recipe similar to Chris's. If you find anything compatable,let us know. With all of the different rubs,injections,marianades and other ways of seasoning the bird,you probably have to invent your own gravy from stock to compliment your method. I just got finished rechecking a bunch of sites with no luck.Sorry. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On Food TV, Tyler Florence did a deep fried turkey with a Sage Gravy and looked divine. Go into their website for the recipe. It uses the giblets, reduced, etc. Good luck. My turkey is cooling down now, and will scratch the gravy because it's so good without it. Already at the wings off, couldn't wait.

Thanks Chris!
I tried your recipie and it was excellent. I tasted it prior to adding flour and loved it. Unfortunately my wife likes thick gravy and felt the need to add lots of flour as a thickening agent which diluted the flavor.

All the best!

Guess I am too late to respond for this cook, but here is what I do for making gravy when I am smoking a turkey. I assume it is the same when frying, too.

I trim any excess skin, fat, etc that I can find on the turkey. I combine this with the neck bone and giblet in a pot with water, celery, onion, sage, thyme and whatever spices suits my mood of the day.

After boiling until the fat is rendered from the meat and skin, I skim that, chop up the skin and giblet, remove the meat from the bones, and put it into a frying pan where I brown on high heat until it starts to brown. I add about an equal amount of flour as the skimmed fat and continue cooking until it all turns a nice dark brown color. I then add the liquid from cooking the turkey parts, maybe adding chicken broth if I need a lot of gravy.

A couple things I have added, with success, is Maggi's, a liquid seasoning commonly used in Europe and readily available here. I also have added onion soup mix as well as milk instead of broth--makes a pretty creamy gravy.

Anyway, you don't need to roast the turkey to get good gravy.

p.s. Colonel Sanders, before they homogenized all their recipes, made gravy from their FRIED chicken. They used a chicken gravy/boullion base and water and added fried breading crumbs for color and to bring in the spices he used in his chicken. Back then, it was pretty good gravy

Dale

Crock Pot to the rescue!

I don't fry turkeys, but have in the past bought the whole turkey, cut off the wings, and drums, and put these into the crock pot the night before with a couple cans of chicken broth, cut up carrots, onions, whatever, salt, pepper, and let it cook down to some nice fat-laden stock for gravy.

Then the turkey- minus the wings/drums, gets put on the smoker, and takes less time to cook than the whole turkey. you can even cut off the thighs as well and put them into the crock pot if you dont wish to have any dark meat from the smoked bird.

This method works well for chicken wings tips, buying whole wings, cut them into the separate 3 disjointed sections, cooking the two main pieces and saving the tips in the freezer for gravy. In fact this years turkey parts got crock potted with a dozen or so chicken wing tips...

Tim

Perhaps a day late and a dollar short, but here goes.

No matter how you cook your bird -- smoker, weber kettle, fryer, or even the oven -- sometimes you just don't get enough drippings to make your gravy taste good. So here's what I did this thanksgiving and it worked out great.

Go to the grocery stoere and buy a couple of packages of extra turkey wings. I bought a couple of styrofoam trays of 3 wings for about 3 bucks.

Put these in a roasting pan and stick them in the oven cranked up to 450 and roast the heck out of them. Turn them so they become dark on all sides. Wings are covered on all sides by skin, which means fat, which means drippings. After they're good and dark, take the wings out of the roasting pan, leaving the drippings behind. Save that roasting pan and drippings, you'll be making your gravy in it later.

Meanwhile, drop the browned wings into your stock pot along with your neck and giblets to make your stock. Meanwhile, mix of a batch of flour and butter to make a roux -- a thickening agent for your gravy. Then sit around, have a beer, fry your bird outside, and wait for your stock to become tasty.

When it's time to make gravy, add a little bit of stock to the drippings in the pan that you roasted your wings in. Scrape up the bits, etc. Then gradually add more broth and engough roux to make it thick.

Works great.
HJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back