Sugar maple wood?

Has anyone ever heard of or used sugar maple wood for smoke? I've been told it's a hard wood, but wasn't sure if it was any good for smoking.

Oh yeah. Good stuff. It's got a sweet smoke that really compliments pork and chicken. I like to use it with pork chops and steaks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Sleyster:
Has anyone ever heard of or used sugar maple wood for smoke? I've been told it's a hard wood, but wasn't sure if it was any good for smoking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sugar maple is great smoke wood. I use it all the time. I like to mix it in with my fruit woods. It actually is similar to fruit woods in regards to smoke.

Thanks for the responses. I have plenty of it (as in an entire tree) that got basically eaten alive by aphids and is slowly dying. Guess I'll cut down a branch at a time as I need smoke wood!

Best if you cut the whole thing down, cut it to length, split it and season it in a dry place (or at least cover when it rains if it's outside) for the 6-9 months suggested previously.

I love it and mix it with other woods. It is however the only wood I use for smoking salmon. My salmon is a very easy brine but it gets the best reviews since switching to sugar maple exclusively, Ken

Back