sugar maple for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've been lurking here for a couple of months and finally decided to join in. First of all, let me say this is one of the best places on the web to find info on BBQing. I learned quite a lot from the resouces section and reading the various posts, and everyone is very friendly and helpful. I'm using a brinkmann gourmet smoker I won at a raffle. I've done about 10 pork butts, some baby backs, a couple of turkeys and a brisket since I got it and I'm definitely hooked on smoking. I went out and bought an ET-73, a couple of rib racks and I just received my order of rub and gloves from texasbbq. Of course my wife thinks I'm nuts and she thought the smoker would end like my bread machine, collecting dust in the garage. But she has been so impressed by the food, especially pulled pork, that I finally convinced her I needed to get a WSM which I ordered on Tuesday. I think she got tired of hearing me constantly b****in' about the lack of vent control on the brinkman.
I do have a question, I live in the heart of maple syrup country here in Ohio and I'm sitting on acres of sugar maple. Has anyone had any experience using sugar maple as a smoke wood?

Thanks,
Tony

We don't have a lot of Sugar Maple out here, but I did find a reference from an outfit that sells chunks along with other smoke woods.

Sugar Maple: Mildly smoky, sweet flavor. Good with lamb, goat, pork, poultry, cheese, vegetables and small game birds.

I've used maple on turkey in the past, and you can definitely tell by the flavor it imparts that it's maple that you've used.

I use is all the time with Hickory. My wife doesn't like too much heavy smoke and I find the maple a great smokiness wihout being too overpowering, just right!

I've used sugar maple on chicken and ribs and it imparts a nice mellow almost sweet smoke. It has tremendous aroma when sitting near the WSM and it is smoking away. Great wood.

I think it would be great when used in the buckboard bacon. Maple-smoked bacon just sounds like breakfast to me.

k

Well I'm convinced, I'll be using it to smoke some pork butts this weekend.

Matty - My wife feels the same way, she finds the hickory and mesquite I've been using to be a little strong sometimes.

Konevik - Great idea! I plan on firing up the smoker around 6 am and I'll throw on some bacon I got from a local Amish farm.

Rick - The most abundant in Ohio are Sugar, Black, Red and silver maple. All can be tapped to make syrup, but sugar and black maple are preferred. Sugar Maple is a hard, dense wood. early settlers to the area referred to it as rock maple because of it hardness.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back