Substitute for White Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackomo

Hello All,

Well, the trip was sucessful and I am now the humble owner of a WSM, a Webber Chimmney, a polder probe (the one with the beeper...I couldn't resist) and a NICE termo with am approx 1 foot stem that reaches through the lid down to about the top grate level.

I am planning out my first cook for when the weather settles here, and I was thinking about the BRITU. I have been able to get my hands on all the required ingredients except for the white oak.

So my question is, is there a good substitute for white oak? What can I use instead?

Thanks in advance!

I've used a mixture of hickory and cherry with the BRITU recipe and have been very pleased with the results. Oak is a strong wood with an even flavor. Hickory and cherry both have what I would call a 'bite' to it. Mixed together they form a completely new smoke flavor that really compliments pork well.

I did the BRITU cook last weekend and used hickory. We liked it,it wasn't too strong. I used 6 chunks,but they all didn't burn up.

I used hickory and cherry on my butt smoke last week, and I was very happy with the results.

I also did BRITU for the first time and couldn't find any white oak. I substituted weber's hickory chunks and had no leftovers out of 4 3lb slabs of baby backs and a 3lb loin. GO FOR IT!

I managed to pick up some hickory (a bag of Weber chunks) while I was down south. How many chucks did you guys use? Did you use it WITH the cherry, or without?

Jackomo,
I used 4 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry, each about the same size as a tennis ball. Also, I didn't remove the bark or soak in water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back