Stupid Off-set smoker

Post it on Craigslist as an amazing deal on a great BBQ! Tell them you're moving and hate to part with it, but wont have room
icon_smile.gif

Just kidding, I'd hate to be the poor sap left with owning it, and then hating this fine hobby of ours because of it.

Maybe you can turn it into a washing machine or something.
icon_smile.gif

this is what those small offsets are trying to emulate:
bbq_003.jpg

and this is what it takes to fuel it:
bbq_002.jpg

to make this much meat:
bbq_010.jpg

the small offsets are just too inefficient because of their size and the small amount of meat it can cook. it is playing off what a real bbq wood smoker can do. the small ones are just marketing gimicks

Yes, I think the offset design is probably intended for very large cookers and tons of food.

I don't know why they bother making smaller ones-they just don't work.

Since I cook for one or two, or sometimes maybe 8 people, I'm thinking I should have purchased a WSM in the first place.

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Ouch, that's alot of fuel! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats enough to run the smoker for 30-36 hours.

when i have to cook that much i typically start it at noon 24 hours before serving cook about 100-150 pounds of brisket in one whack then switch to about 100-120 pounds of chicken. so for the amount of food that thing cooks it is actually fairly efficient. i run it from noon to about 6pm the following day on a bbq cook.

anyway those small offset are complete trash and the people who make and sell them should be spanked with a hickory pole til they stop. get a WSM you will be much happier for smaller cooks.

though the wsm isn't perfect for all of us- it still seems the best bang for your buck as far as being what it is- an upright smoker that does what it claims. It's a powerful brand that sets a benchmark in the world of smokers. It will work just fine without any mods or all the bells and whistles. Customer svc/loyalty dept is also very good which help make this a premiere company. Maybe I should sell them!

Chris, When you get your new wwm- I'm sure you know but it's gonna run hot -about 50-60 deg. hotter then it's normal. After that, It will or should be a fairly steady unit.

And when it is running hot, a turkey and or chicken is just the thing.... I believe the smoke flavor is less from the wsm. Cut the logs smaller, say 9".

I have a good sized apple orchard with somewhere over 60 trees. The last time I cut up anything was 2 years ago. I -just- ran out. I suppose it is time to get the chainsaw going. Pick out some tree and get some wood. I also noticed two hardwood trees down. I hope the saw starts.

Back