Stupid human Q tricks

So, the other day I'm doing four racks of ribs, each split in two for my foiling testing. Put some in foil, sit down with my scotch, and notice the temp is staying at 84f. Goodness - that's terrible. Wait a while, still stuck at 84. Go over, open vents, stir the coals, and then realise I forgot to put the ET-73 smoker probe back in the hole. Had a 300f spike.

Sheesh.

That's no spike. That's just good rib smoking temps.
icon_smile.gif

Nice, at least you had a scotch to get you through it! I once left a remote therm in a bag of charcoal after a comp and lit it up in a chimney the next day. I had scotch to get me through.....although the smell was horrid!

Clark

Been here before but in another light... Left my kegerator bar control temp probe laying on the floor for about two days after loading up my kegerator with fresh homebrew kegs. I froze a LOT of great beer...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac: I froze a LOT of great beer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ice beer?

Working on perfecting my brisket in my smoker last fall I'm adding some smoke wood, charcoal and mopping the meat when I hear a scream from my then 1 year old. I run inside to see how he is. He's rubbing his head where he bumped it but otherwise he's fine. I go down stairs and watch the college football game I had on. An hour later I walk up stairs to hit the brisket with another round of mop to find that I left the lid open when I ran inside. The temp of the meat had dropped like 30 degrees, my meager fire was down to almost nothing and I'm doing the math on how much it will cost to feed pizza to 20 people who will be at my place in 3 hours and I have a brisket that is essentially 2 hours behind in my cooking process.

I foiled the top of the aluminum pan I had the brisket in, started another charcoal chimney, slid the pan on top of the lit fire and cooked it at about 400 inside the foil for the last 2 hours. Pulled from the pan, wrapped it tight in foil and put it in the micro for an hour. When I served it, it was actually really good...

It was fat cap down so it didn't burn. It had two solid hours of smoke so it had a nice ring but not quite as thick as I normally had. It was great...

Back