Stumbled across a Junior <2 miles from me

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
Yesterday when browsing on FB mktplc under free stuff, I came to a cleanout with a bunch of pictures. There was nothing in the listing text for "weber" or even "grill", but in the seventh picture I saw: this machine listing.JPG
A couple of hours later it was home.
It was clearly missing both flavorizer bars and the upper table, but later inspection showed it also lacked:
Front panel which mounts the ignition module.
The clip which secures the folding table support rod to the frame when in the down position. I alternatively could use one of the "slide bars" on which a slider clip mounts, as in later x000s.
I will make a set of bars from a Gen x000 set, and I have a table to fit. I need some help with the other items.

Seems like here on Cape Cod, free grills become abundant when Labor Day arrives.

Last edited:
When I got it home, I took it apart and saw few problems. I think it was inside for most of its life.
The sticker on the reverse of the control panel indicates it was made in 1988.

Attachments

• IMG-0702.jpg
    IMG-0702.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-0707.jpg
    IMG-0707.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0709.jpg
    IMG-0709.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0703.jpg
    IMG-0703.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0710.jpg
    IMG-0710.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Great find, good luck with the restoration. look forward to seeing results. I am doing similar right now accept its black and when i collected it was in much better condition and not missing any parts except i am getting new grates and have sourced new flavor bars. I am currently just trying to get original shelves to sparkle using a few layers of teak oil.

IMG_5818.jpg

Nice find! I almost bought a mint black one couple years ago, but didn’t want to drive 7 hours one way. Kinda wish I had, they’re cool.

Gonna keep or flip or what?

Summer is over and they are rushing to get on Route 6 or 25 to sit in traffic to get over either of the two bridges back to the mainland. Great find on your part! Now you can move around freely in good weather for another month or so.

Very cool Hank. The missing table is easy enough to replace, the ignition panel may prove more of a challenge. I would probably start by seeing if by some miracle you can still find a NOS one. Good luck!

Nice find! I almost bought a mint black one couple years ago, but didn’t want to drive 7 hours one way. Kinda wish I had, they’re cool.

Gonna keep or flip or what?
Keep if I can find room (even a XXI).
( Belated response)

Last edited:
An update.
I made a set of grates for it with a hacksaw, cutting a stamped stainless 1k-silver grate into two equal pieces, and combining one with another uncut grate . Not perfect but will do for now.
I made a set of flavorizer bars for it by putting a new set into my G1100, and cutting what came out of it to fit the junior. It too will do for now.
I cleaned and painted the frame where necessary, and painted all the cast aluminum parts with rustoleum high heat semi gloss.
The original burners had long been without their plastic spider guards, so used a long q tip to clean them and added the guards from a set of silver burners.
I added an upper table and fold down table which I had been saving for an occasion like this. Thanks to Bruce, I now have the pieces needed (and some other necessities) to secure the folder. I removed the mickey mouse looking table rod support and replaced with a later push in plastic retainer.

The original manifold was secured to the box with original steel thumb screws, and I was able to remove them using PB Blaster and a 1/4"drill and a power wing nut driver. I replaced them with stainless bolts and wing nuts.

What I still need, as you can see from the pictures, is a way to mount the new igniter without the original panel. (Or come up with an original).
I thought of using a 1000 front panel, but this didn't look good, and it is really too small any way. A 3 sided panel from an early Silver B doesn't really work, as the leg is in the way. A front panel from a 2000-3000 will work, with both ends shortened a little, I have an "extra" one of these mounted on the back side of my 3000, but I like it there.
Does anyone have an extra of the panel i need?Panel.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-0717.jpg
    IMG-0717.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0718.jpg
    IMG-0718.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0719.jpg
    IMG-0719.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0720.jpg
    IMG-0720.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 14
An update.
I made a set of grates for it with a hacksaw, cutting a stamped stainless 1k-silver grate into two equal pieces, and combining one with another uncut grate . Not perfect but will do for now.
I made a set of flavorizer bars for it by putting a new set into my G1100, and cutting what came out of it to fit the junior. It too will do for now.
I cleaned and painted the frame where necessary, and painted all the cast aluminum parts with rustoleum high heat semi gloss.
The original burners had long been without their plastic spider guards, so used a long q tip to clean them and added the guards from a set of silver burners.
I added an upper table and fold down table which I had been saving for an occasion like this. Thanks to Bruce, I now have the pieces needed (and some other necessities) to secure the folder. I removed the mickey mouse looking table rod support and replaced with a later push in plastic retainer.

The original manifold was secured to the box with original steel thumb screws, and I was able to remove them using PB Blaster and a 1/4"drill and a power wing nut driver. I replaced them with stainless bolts and wing nuts.

What I still need, as you can see from the pictures, is a way to mount the new igniter without the original panel. (Or come up with an original).
I thought of using a 1000 front panel, but this didn't look good, and it is really too small any way. A 3 sided panel from an early Silver B doesn't really work, as the leg is in the way. A front panel from a 2000-3000 will work, with both ends shortened a little, I have an "extra" one of these mounted on the back side of my 3000, but I like it there.
Does anyone have an extra of the panel i need?View attachment 79295
Hi Hank

if you have no joy sourcing a genuine spare then you could consider fabricating one. The original only fixes with 1 bolt (the one that fixes the upright to the horizontal top frame. The short side of the L sits over the nearside burner but perhaps you could and another fixing point somehow. if you need dimensions for original please let me know.

1695069849074.png

Paul,
Thanks, that’s just what I will need and just what I have been thinking .
All the dimensions including igniter hole size and placement would be great!
Best, Hank

Back